Author   Comment  
Wombat

Reply with quote  #1 
With a new workbench now residing in my workshop, and a renewed focus on toy making, I turned a critical eye to my drilling arrangements.
 For decades I have persevered  with an after-market table-top drill press that I clamped to the desktop and clamped an old pistol drill into.
Both drill and press were getting sloppy from lots of use.
I have no room for a pedestal drill, so I had my eye on this Bosch PBD40 drill for a couple of years, but was put off by the price.  Whilst we were on a holiday break, Bunnings had put it on runout at almost half price. Now they were talking my language!
Lots of others had thought so too, and I was lucky to get one of the last ones in the whole state.

Digital depth gauge readout, Digital speed readout, variable speed at the turn of a knob.
Now I can use Forstener bits and Spade bits and actually expect some accuracy and clean holes! Heaven.

I have already turned several pieces of otherwise perfectly good wood into swiss cheese just revelling in playing with it.
I have a feeling Rod T has one of these, anybody else?

Wombat 20190912_170530.jpg  20190912_094657.jpg  20190912_094724.jpg 

Reply with quote  #2 
Awesome buy. I don't have one of these, I have a large floor standing pedestal drill that is brilliant, but always a pain to change the speeds with the belts etc. 
I tend to just leave the speed on a medium setting.

I'll have to check out Bunnings to see if they have any of these left. Would be handy for forstner bits etc. 

Cheers
Rod T
Martin L

Reply with quote  #3 
It is great when you buy a new piece of equipment especially when it is something that you have on your want list and then on your need list.  Then the opportunity arises to get one on special. This a great buy and have fun making 'Swiss Cheese'.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
Looks like a sweet drill press. I love my Bosch tools.
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Wombat

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank guys!
Like you BadBob, I have a fondness for my selection of Bosch Green power tools. 
 Good quality at a fair price.
 So I was dismayed when told they are discontinuing the Green (DIY) range to focus on the Blue professional range.
Ryobi yellow seems to be the new "green"
Have a few of these now, will see if they measure up in the longer run.

Reply with quote  #6 
I never knew there were "green" Bosh tools. All my green tools are Hitachi. I originally bought a Bosh radio on a Christmas deal. I wanted batteries for it, and a friend tools me that there was a drill on sale with two batteries and I bought it for the batteries. I didn't use it for a long time. One day I needed a second drill for a project and was amazed at the difference.
Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Rod T

Reply with quote  #7 
I had a look at my local Bunnings, but no luck. 

I have found the new Ryobi "Yellow" range pretty good. I have one of the +1 18v sanders and find it is as powerful as my electric dewalt sander.
Battery lasts a long time. Was a bit of a luxury buy for me, as I already had an electric one. But I find that I use it all the time, as I can just
grab it and go, rather than plug in a cord all the time. 
I do have a couple of the Blue range of battery Bosch tools and was considering buying a Blue sander to go with my existing batteries, but the Ryobi sander with a charger and battery was cheaper than the Bosch sander "Skin" on it's own. Ryobi also has a huge range of other tools that can use the battery and purchased as "Skins".

The Ryobi tools seem much better than the old GMC brand that Bunnings used to have. 
I think Bunnings bought the Ryobi brand, which would be why they are no longer available anywhere else here in Australia.  

Cheers
Rod T

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.