Author   Comment  
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
These are new models of Peterbilt wood toy set that we are in the process of developing. The two toys are definitely designed for play. The truck is 19-3/4" long and uses standard 2-1/4" treaded wheels. We are trying to decide on dualies or singles for the rear wheels. Also, the construction is super-simple and extra-rugged for rough play-and that includes side mirrors and headlights. The dirt loader is especially easy to build. The number of parts are kept to a minimum on both the truck and dirt loader with a sense of realism as a goal. The materials are standard 1/2", 3/4" and 1-1/2" lumber.

The final design is in process today and any feedback will be greatly appreciated. 

PeterBilt 03 alt.jpg  PeterBilt 04.jpg

Bucko

Reply with quote  #2 
That's one nice size truck there, I'd mention on the single or duel rear wheel thought. To go duelly the bed would most likely need to be wider to accommodate the extra wheel and after a quick search I've found it may be tough to find the 2 1/4" wheel in the duelly configuration. Sure is a nice, solid looking set- up for a build and looks darn good with the present wheel configuration.
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #3 
Looks great John ... love to see it!!

T
gazz

Reply with quote  #4 
Perhaps two rear axles with duelies and maybe thin the chassis.

Reply with quote  #5 
Looks like a winner to me. 
I agree with Bucko with regards to keeping the single wheels.

Cheers
Rod T

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #6 
Awesome

Reply with quote  #7 
I have an affinity for the rigs and this one is great!  Can't wait for it to be available.  The chassis and cab could become the base for a number of options.  A big rig wrecker, water truck, tandem trailer log truck, etc.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Does it have dual wheels on the bed? I can't tell from the photo. Looks great.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Reply with quote  #9 
BadBob-the proto shown has dual wheels in the rear. We used four individual wheels for each axle. We are probably going to switch to just 3 axles total instead of 4. What do you all think? It will lower the cost of wheels. We are also considering not having any of the wheel stations as dualies. This takes it down to just eight wheels total which is a lot less cost than 14 wheels. The truck is so inexpensive to and easy make that this might be a good move for toymakers who want to sell a few. Any comments?
BadBob

Reply with quote  #10 
I like the dual wheels on the trucks where appropriate. They don't look right with out them.

How about a design that lets you do it either way?

I put dual wheels on the Play Pal trucks.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

dmjones

Reply with quote  #11 
I love it. Any idea when it will be released?
john lewman

Reply with quote  #12 
The plan set is in process now and will be released this Spring. I do not have an exact date. There are a couple of plan set releases ahead of the Peterbilt Work Crew Combo. Stay tuned!
AES

Reply with quote  #13 
FWIW, I agree with the other comments re dual rear wheels.

Yes, they are relatively expensive (or time consuming to make) but somehow a big truck with single rear wheels just doesn't look right (unless it one of those huge mining trucks which sometimes have single rear wheels but which are about twice the diameter and three times the thickness of normal big truck rear wheels!).

Apart from that, my only comment is just the same as posted re your "6 pack Kenny" set - a European cab as an option would be nice (just the truck, the shovel is fine as it is).

Nice design again.   

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.