Author   Comment  
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,
While i'm new to the forum I have been using toymaking.com   plans for quite some time. I though I would share a few pictures of my cars. I started making these toy's for the grandson who is almost 5 now.
This all started with a Scotch tape dispenser. I'll let you look at the picture and see if you can see it  [biggrin]
I also made a t-shirt for him and a matching one for me. He thought that was a awesome LOL

Anyway I also had a question about the dinosaurs. I made a few of them and he and his sister managed to break the arms on 2 of them. It broke with the grain (if that makes sense) I'm guessing I should have aligned them differently when cutting so that the grain was in a stronger position. Anyone else run into that? Just curious.
Also I wanted to say that i really enjoy this forum and the crafts persons here. You guy's have a wonderful knack for developing plans and making toy's.

Drew Toys 1.jpg 
dino-1.jpg 
Drew Plans.jpg 
plane2.jpg 
Drew t-shirt.jpg 

Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome to forum ed357sw as you know there are a lot of guys here that can help you. As for myself I make the grain go a along the arm on my mine. Anything like that I try and make out of ply as I have 14 grandkids and two of them are a bit wild with testing my toys if it passes them they will pass anyone ah ah . I am sure someone will give you some ideas . Your toys look great, like the shirt great idea for 14 kid at Xmas Thanks for you post looking forward to seeing more. George
banderson

Reply with quote  #3 
I love all the toys.  You do a very good job.  I do not have the dinosaur patterns but I always try to have the grain along the weakest part.  I have started drilling holes where I thing the part might break and adding a dowel.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
Very nice work indeed, I see the dispenser shape but wouldn't have w/o the invite to look for it and I like it.
Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
ed357sw - What a wonderful post. All your creations look fantastic. I too found two tape dispenser cars and they look pretty cool - good idea. I do like the different size tires on many of your vehicles as well as the different sizes.
The Cessna airplane looks like the perfect scale for almost all you your vehicles. Making one plane and one car and packaging them together would be a great idea for craft show sales. Pick your plane and pick your car for one price or each sold separately.
Not knowing how big the dinosaur is, it does look like a toy that has some easy break points if dropped a few times. Maybe using plywood would give it a longer life. Wood type and grain direction could be something to look at for the next build. You really do not know until you build one.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #6 
Very nice set of toys!  On thinner pieces of wood, if you align your pattern to run the long way (with) the grain it is a little stronger.  And as Udie said, plywood is stronger.  I really like the tape dispenser cars.  Cute. 
Cindy
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #7 
Great Job ed357sw
Love the colors and the tape dispenser car.
   When I first started making toys I built some of the dinosaurs and had the legs break off.  My problem back then was I glued the legs over painted surfaces.  Not Good.  Once I got smarter and starting masking they were a lot better.  Also, I use Baltic Burch plywood on them, and that helped.
   I like your paint work.  Are you brushing or spray painting?
What a great Idea with the tea shirt.  I can see all kinds of marketing ideas for that.  Please tell us how you did that? Thanks
So glad you started posting you work, let us see more.

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #8 
A big WELCOME from in Hartpury in the UK. Love the toys and the tee shirt great idea.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #9 
Welcome and great job on the toys!

Reply with quote  #10 
Udle Thanks for the kind comments. The tape dispenser cars have a good story behind them that i will have to share maybe LOL. It was my first ever wood anything made and started me on the quest of others.

As far as the dino is concerned it was made using poplar so maybe I need to try making the legs and arms out of BB Ply and see how that works for the them.

Ken I both hand paint and spray paint (depends on my mood mostly LOL )
As far as the t-shirt goes that was one of those I wanted to do things. After much research I ran across a transfer medium that is very good and stands up to washing etc. Its called "TAP" "Transfer Artist Paper"
It comes in 8x10 sheets and you can use a dry iron on highest setting to transfer the image.
The image is printed on ink-jet and reversed for the printing. It was my first attempt and came out very good.
And thanks for the kind welcome from everyone!

Reply with quote  #11 
Wow, lovely toys, really nice work.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.