Author   Comment  
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all - I had previously been ready to ditch my trusty 21" Excalibur with its excessive vibration but saw an add and read several reviews of these replacement heads and thought I'd give them a go. Even with the terrible exchange rate and airmail to Oz it was one of the best decisions I've made.
They have improved the machine no end and the blade change is also MUCH easier. I sourced mine from Bear Woods USA and they were excellent to deal with!!!
Here's a link to the nifty device if you're not aware of it.
https://www.bearwood.com/pegas-chuck-head-replacement-kits.html

They come in a neat kit with top and bottom replacements, bushes, screws, washers and bolts.

The Excalibur has always been good but now it is excellent plus!!

Tony

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: pegas-chuck-heads.png, Views: 63, Size: 51.98 KB 

kangaroopaws

Reply with quote  #2 
you don't have to buy these  replacement parts from the USA you can buy from Carbatec here in Australia, my replacement part I got to day the lower part was $27.50 including postage, also got the upper one but cannot remember now how much as was a few months ago Carbatec are the agents in Australia and the Excalibur is now branded  Carbatec in Australia, just thought I would inform you of the latest on the Excalibur
robin  
Cometoz

Reply with quote  #3 
These are not a look-alike replacement - they are a new more balanced lightweight design that is infinitely an improvement on the Excalibur/Carbatec/General/Seyco design.
No vibration at ANY speed.
Tony
AES

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for that info Gents. I too have seen the ads and wondered - after all they're not exactly cheap (mind you nothing is cheap here in Switzerland!). Anyway they're now on my Christmas pressie list (the makers of Pegas blades here are also agents/distributors for Excalibur).

Thanks

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #5 
AES - you won't be disappointed my friend, I had my grandson on the scrollsaw this afternoon and he liked how smooth it was!!!
T
Rod T

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Tony

I put these on my Excallibur (Carbatec) 21" a few months ago and have been very pleased.

Just be careful to not overtighten the thumbscrews.

The heads are made of aluminium and I have found that with continual blade changing I have worn the thread slightly in the top holder. Still works fine, but will eventually strip the thread.

I got some Pegas blades at the same time and have found these to be pretty good also.

Cheers
Rod T
tmidd12

Reply with quote  #7 
anyone know if they work on Ryobi Saws?
AES

Reply with quote  #8 
According to the website Scies Miniatures SA in Switzerland, who apparently make these things, the list of machines that these new clamps/chucks will fit does NOT include Ryobi, sorry.

AES

Reply with quote  #9 
@Cometoz, you wrote, QUOTE: I had my grandson on the scrollsaw this afternoon and he liked how smooth it was!!! UNQUOTE: 

"Ozzie" I hope you've cleared all the blood and gore up by now! [smile] (Sorry mate, a joke in poor taste I know, but you know what bl--dy poms and they're banter's like).

@tmidd12: Sorry, I forgot, here's the link to Scies (that's Pegas and BTW, Vallorbe files) if you're interested. English is available (choose language at top RH of start page):

http://www.scies.ch

HTH

mfslater

Reply with quote  #10 
Does this attachment also fit more  recent Proxxon scroll saws?

MFS
AES

Reply with quote  #11 
@ mfslater: The link above will take you straight to the list of what saws these things fit. As I remember Proxxon was not on thel ist at all, but why not check yourself? It is in English.

bjedge1

Reply with quote  #12 
hi I am new on here and love woodwork. I have just got a Record power SS16V 16" veriable speed scrollsaw . which is very nice to work with but a pain to keep changing the blade when doing the inside pattons. do you now if there are clamps for this saw.
AES

Reply with quote  #13 
I'm not sure where you are. Most people here are from the USA, of course (!), but by no means all!

If you're in UK, Axminster Tools sell a quick change blade clamp sets to fit a number of scroll saws, but I'm not sure if that includes the Record. You'd have to check with them on line or by phone, they're very helpful.

Where I come from (Switzerland) nobody that I know off has these for Record saws.

If you're in the US I'd suggest you try someone like Rockler or Grizzly, but again I don't know if they have such things to fit the Record machine.

The other thing you can do is get hold of a copy of the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine (Google). That's a US magazine and carries lots of small ads for a number of companies that offer all sorts of goodies for scrollers, including quick change blade clamps (called "blade chucks" sometimes) but again you'll have to check direct for items to fit your Record saw.

HTH

bjedge1

Reply with quote  #14 
thankyou for your reply I,m from the uk and just ordered the mag thanks
AES

Reply with quote  #15 
OK, try Axminster Tools. Link:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/

HTH

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.