Author   Comment  
Clint Metcalf

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #1 
ten minute wood toy trucks.jpg

Any saw and ten minutes each truck is all you need to build this set of trucks. Ken Smith, our Social Media Director, prototyped these using only a table saw. No drilling is required. Common 2x4's for the bodies and 1x6's for the beds and minis is all that is required. The police car upper right is finished with one coat of brushed on non-toxic food grade Walnut Oil. The oil preserves the wood, adds a beautiful glow and creates a velvet-like feel when you handle the toy. It has no odor and is a durable and lasting finish. We now use it as a replacement for Cynthia's paste wax finish.

All cuts are straight cuts and all gluing is butt-joints. You can build ten of these an hour when gang-running one style truck at a time. Using the lowest cost lumber from our local Home Depot, the big trucks cost $1.80 each including the wheels. The mini's cost 80 cents each including the wheels. The 2" wheels are from craftparts.com and in a quantity of 100 are 23 cents each. The 1" wheels on the mini's are from the same source and in quantities of 100 are 6 cents each.

Axle slots are made with the saw, not drilled. An axle plate is glued to the chassis to create the axle hole. This is a clean and fast method for creating clean axle holes. All you need to create these toys is a saw and sandpaper. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

axle plate.jpg 
They also look great painted. Wood toned big trucks will blow out at Craft Shows or on Etsy at $15 each and the Mini's at $7.50 each. The painted ones will bring even more. We use 3 coats of brush-on crafts paints sanded with 220 between each dried coat. The final coat is spray-on gloss clear acrylic from crafts stores like Hobby Lobby.

Promo  015.png 
Below is John W. Lewman's original sketch for this set of toys.

JWL original wood toy sketch.jpg 

JTalbot

Reply with quote  #2 
That looks cool! when will the plan set be available?
Jeremy
Clint Metcalf

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Jeremy. We hope to launch the plan sets as a group by the end of next week.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
This set of trucks was a riot to design. Ken was just getting started working in his home workshop, grabbed the plans and rushed to his shop. He was back shortly with this set of unpainted prototypes. He applied walnut oil the the police car. He claims he made one of the trucks in less than 9 minutes. Wow! FYI-We have tagged the mini's "Half-Pints".
johndrees

Reply with quote  #5 
they look good

wwalker47

Reply with quote  #6 
Those are real nice set.

I love they were made by 2 X4s.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
johndrees

Reply with quote  #7 
they look very good easy to make

flamepainter

Reply with quote  #8 
Nice set.They look really easy. Can't wait for the plans. Jim
rob41245

Reply with quote  #9 
These are fantastic! They solve my Christmas present problem for my 3, 4 and 5 year old great niece and nephews. 
I'll do the saw work and sanding and box up the parts with directions for assembly and give several to each youngster. They can be the builders!

Thanks for the great idea.
Rob
johndrees

Reply with quote  #10 
why not use 1/1/2 wheels and 3/4 for the other ones
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.