Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Slimpickens

Reply with quote  #1 
Just decided I wanted to start woodworking. Want to start by making toys for my grandkids.  I’m a decent rough carpenter. Any and advice is welcome.  
kenneth smith

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome aboard. In this forum you will find lots of help and insights to get started.  Give us a list of tools you already have and go from there.  
Slimpickens

Reply with quote  #3 
I have an older scroll saw , table saw, jigsaw, a small router , skilsaw, compound saw, drills, some hand tools as well. 
kenneth smith

Reply with quote  #4 
You're already in better shape than most.  You should be about able to build almost anything. You could start with our free plans and go from there. 
Slimpickens

Reply with quote  #5 
I've downloaded and printed those. Any advice on what wood is better and easy on the budget
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi there, I'm a relative newbie toymaker.

Just jump in and have a go. I started using ordinary pine avoiding any knots using a bandsaw plus a hand coping saw. It's not the easiest to use but it was cheap when I started out.

I now have a scroll saw and it's easier to cut, will move onto hardwoods as i become more skilled. There's lots of great toy builders with a wealth of knowledge and tips just waiting to be tapped into.

Most of all enjoy yourself. I hadn't done anything like this for about 40 years when I was at school. My grandson now has lots of handmade wooden toys from his Grandpa. I love making them and he loves quality testing them and he's not quite one year old yet.

The plans from John and Cynthia are very easy to follow, I made the Peterbilt Construction set recently and it was great fun to build and all of the cuts I did with a bandsaw. Take your time and take the plunge and let us all know how you get on with your builds,

regards Nick
kenneth smith

Reply with quote  #7 
Pine is what I started with, I'm new to toy making as well, just really got my feet wet 3-4 weeks ago. Poplar is a nice wood as well, I use that for the thin stuff 1/4" to 1/2" thick stuff. Like Grandpa Bear said HAVE FUN! Your grandkids will love anything you make them. Can't wait to see what you build. Never hesitate to ask anyone for advice, there's a wealth of knowledge on here. 
BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
You can make toys with pine. but constrution grades are some times very difficult to wor with. Poplar is much easier to work with. In the US at the big box stores you can buy poplar in thicknesses starting at 1/8-inch to 3/4-inch. No resawing required. 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #9 
You can make toys with pine, but construction grades are some times tough to work. Poplar is much easier. In the US at the big box stores, you can buy poplar in thicknesses starting at 1/8-inch to 3/4-inch. No resawing required. 

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Slimpickens

Reply with quote  #10 
My first attempt. I’m never making wheels again. Lol also gotta buy a drill press so my axle holes are straight

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: BDA95FF2-7988-4E2D-8030-F3E407B60072.jpeg, Views: 15, Size: 327.14 KB 

kenneth smith

Reply with quote  #11 
Looks really good for your first toy brother. For me I find buying wheels saves me a lot of headache and grief. Keep after it. You will progress faster than you think.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpickens
My first attempt. I’m never making wheels again. Lol also gotta buy a drill press so my axle holes are straight

I feel your pain, but sometimes you got to make theme to get the size or the look you want. Some people make wheels where one wheel has more parts than any of my toys. 

I have seen these trucks made with all sorts of store bought wheels on them and they just do not look right to my eye.

20170104-153318 - Norm Marshall Model T Pickup Truck.jpg 
Making wheels is a good skill for a toy maker to have, but it isn't much fun.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Slimpickens

Reply with quote  #13 
Nope. Wheels are tough. When I get a little better and the right equipment I’ll try again.
Slimpickens

Reply with quote  #14 
So when you put two or three pieces together do you use wood putty to fill in the seams?
BadBob

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpickens
So when you put two or three pieces together do you use wood putty to fill in the seams?

I have not made any multi-piece wheels although I might give it a try at some point. I have not been happy with the quality of the spoked wheels I have purchased in the past.  However, I have read a lot of posts on making these complicated wheels with many parts. I have never seen anyone use putty of any kind on the wheels.

I never use putty on wheels. If there is a defect, I will hide it if I can or throw it in the scrap bin if I can't. I always make extras.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.