Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Slimpickens

Reply with quote  #16 
Was referring to when you need to put two or more pieces together to get your width of toy you are making.
Clint Metcalf

Toy Wizard at ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #17 
Hi Slimpickens! (great name btw) Ken and Bob are definitely putting you on the right path. I think most builders would likely go the route of glue and clamps over putty but maybe I'm not completely understanding your question. This Sunday we'll release our latest issue of Wood Toy Weekly (you'll receive an email with the link to the issue) and it has a concise, easy to follow tutorial regarding building your own wheels with tools you likely already have. Again the lads are absolutely correct in Ken telling you, a lot of headaches can be relieved by buying already made wheels but I concur with BadBob that suggests that sometimes the store boughts just simply don't look right.
Keep in mind that if you're not having fun, you might not be doing it right and we're here to help.

Welcome to the tribe.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpickens
Was referring to when you need to put two or more pieces together to get your width of toy you are making.

I got it now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The only time I use putty is if I am going for a smooth, glossy painted surface. I would most likely be using MDF for this.

I don't like putty on wood for two reasons. First, it will show through any transparent finish and looks like putty. Second, putty under paint makes a flat spot that looks much different than the surrounding wood grain.

When gluing up two or more pieces to form a body, I glue the pieces together before I cut them. If I do my job right, both parts will be identical. If I cut them well, only a bit of touch up sanding will be required.

Usually, when I have a part that gets damaged in some way, I will throw it into the scrap bin and use it for kindling. It took me a long time to get to the point where I could throw things away. I have this mindset that makes me want to fix everything.  However, experience has taught me that most of the time, it isn't worth the effort. On a recent build of BadBobs Custom Motors cars, I probably tossed out ten fenders.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Slimpickens

Reply with quote  #19 
I'm using glue. But you can still see the seams in between the pieces. How do you cover those.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.