Author   Comment  
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #1 
I have been looking at the various projects made and am mightily impressed by the standards. Have taken the plunge and bought an Axminster scroll saw, am using a band saw at the moment and restricted by its cutting curve.

Here is a tractor I am making without a plan. Picture is of it "dry built", I am going to paint it in John Deere livery of green and yellow. Will add pics as it progresses.

Have bought the new Road crew plans as my first build following plans.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190521_154650507.jpg, Views: 21, Size: 367.36 KB 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
That's a pure little design with good workmanship. You will do fine with the new plan sets. I use both a band saw and a scroll saw. The band saw blade is 1/8" which allows me to cut a much smaller radius than the larger width blades. But, nothing beats a scroll saw for very tight cuts.

Thanks for sharing-we look forward to seeing a lot more from you. Post as often as you like with as many and as large photo files as you have. The forum software will downsize the photos for the post and then when a reader clicks on the post the photo will pop up full size. The forum has unlimited storage so post your heart out!
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Nice. Simple and easy to make.

What are you using for axles?

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi BadBob, they are 6 mm dowels into a 7 mm hole straight through the tractor body. The wheels hubs will be bright yellow and the tractor body green, pictures to follow. By the way I like the toys that you have made they look very slick indeed.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Bear
Hi BadBob, they are 6 mm dowels into a 7 mm hole straight through the tractor body. The wheels hubs will be bright yellow and the tractor body green, pictures to follow. By the way I like the toys that you have made they look very slick indeed.

Thanks, I'm trying very hard to make nice looking toys that kids are attracted to and are sturdy enough that kids can play with them. 

6mm is about 1/4-inch. The axles looked small to me in your photo which is what prompted the question.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #6 
I can see what you mean. The predrilled holes are less than 6mm, I tapered the axle for a snug fit before gluing them in. Have just given the tractor its first green body coat. Here is the white gesso acrylic primer coat.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190525_160848339.jpg, Views: 9, Size: 403.19 KB 

Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #7 
Sanded with 220 grit then 1st green acrylic top coat.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190525_190047917.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 342.23 KB 

Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #8 
Tractor is finished, painted in John Deere livery.

My first completed toy.

Ended up using axle pegs on the back wheels as a straight through axle made the wheels rub as I hadn't drilled at 90 degrees. Have a pillar drill now to rectify the problem.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190531_074653211.jpg, Views: 10, Size: 202.47 KB 

Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Grandpa Bear
First of all welcome to this forum. I am also in England, Swindon, and an expecting Grandpa as well, our first Grand daughter is due in September.....
I love your work especially the painting as its something i normally avoid lol...I have only painted one model, my first one and it was MDF as well....
I use different colours of wood, Beech, Walnut etc to give my models, hopefully,some colour.
Anyway fantastic model
All the bestb 
Dave
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #10 
I am the opposite, I can paint to hide my Woodworking skills, just going to keep plugging away and hopefully be able to make better toys, good luck with your grandchild
, All the best Nick
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Some people like the rustic rough look. I have had customers ask for it.

Some prefer to see the wood grain even on painted toys.  

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.