Author   Comment  
rdredge

Reply with quote  #1 
I am new to this too and about to make my first toy.  2 question - What kind of glue do you use?  and Do I put the beeswax and mineral oil coating over paint?  Thanks for all your help!!
Not sure I did this right so not sure where it is going to show up!!
rdredge

Reply with quote  #2 
Just starting out with a little toy car.
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
rdredge - Welcome to the Forum.
Glue - Common glues used are PVA glues (polyvinyle acetate which are all non-toxic and water cleanup). Standard yellow carpenters glue, and a commercial brand name is Titebond. These glues all have excellent adhesion/bonding properties for partial board, MDF, plywood, Pine, Cedar, Poplar, Spruce etc. Titebond II is water resistant but not water proof and Titebond III is waterproof.
Some of our members prefer to use CA glues.

Yes, Cynthia's Non-Toxic Child Safe Mineral Oil with Bee's Wax can be applied directly to bare wood, as well as to any painted project using craft paints, spray paints and commercial can paints. You may apply the Bee's Wax finish after applying any varnish, polyurethane tops coats also. It gives your finish product a great feel as well as a nice smell.
Cynthia has a video which demonstrates how to make it and the results ... here is the link to the video found in the "Wood Toy Workshop" tab on the web site's home page.
How To Make Cynthia's Non-Toxic Bees Wax Wood Toy Finish.

Hope this info is helpful, feel free to ask questions at any time ... questions from members also helps other members.

In reference to your 2nd post - which car are you planning to make as your first project?
rdredge

Reply with quote  #4 
Just making  one from the free pattern I received when joining e mail list.  Thanks for your help! 
rdredge

Reply with quote  #5 
Another question.  Can I use Minwax stains instead of baking to darken?  Can I put beeswax paste over stain?  Thanks again.
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
rdredge
Yes, you can use stains vs. heat treating (cooking) wood. Again, the beeswax paste is an ideal finish for such pieces. Take a look at these links "Martin Motors Car Carrier Unique Stain Job" by Ken Martin and a modification I did to the Play Pal VW Bug "MDF Play Pal Makeover" with a downloadable PDF.
rdredge

Reply with quote  #7 
Hmmm, made my beewax paste,  think I messed up, it is yellow, yep I had yellow beeswax!  Will it make a difference?  Thanks again!
Udie

Reply with quote  #8 
rdredge - Yellow bee's wax paste - I guess I should ask how yellow is it?
I used yellow bee's wax when making my batch also.
Here is a photo of my bee's wax paste, it is not clear and does have a little colour in it. You can see the colour on the cloth on the left where the cloth has bee's wax on it and the natural colour of the cloth.
In the next photo I applied some of my bee's wax to a piece of Pine. See how it gives the Pine a warmer glow when comparing the right side to the left.
You just might like to apply some of you paste to different pieces of wood on the end grain, edge grain and surface grain to see the effects.
IMG_5994 A.jpg 
IMG_5997 A.jpg 

sjc5454

Reply with quote  #9 
The color is affected by the amount of beeswax you put in and the color of the beeswax itself. The beeswax I have is very yellow, couldn't find any bleached beeswax on the shelf, but it is available on the net. My paste has a yellow color to it, but I have found that it does not affect the colors of painted projects, but adds a nice tone to lacquered or shellaced pieces. And as Udie said, it makes the toy feel great and smell good too. You might have put in too much beeswax, but that only makes the finish last longer and shine brighter when you polish it.
Steve Currier
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.