Author   Comment  
Tony

Reply with quote  #1 
After ordering the wheels that were one sided I decided to make my own. Here's a picture of the wheels I made:
532.jpg

Here's a picture from the plan set with the wheels you can buy online. Unfortunately they now make these wheels where the spokes are on only one side, so I made my own!
macho-motorcycle.jpg  

Scroll Saw Magic Macho Motorcycle

Reply with quote  #2 
Looking good Tony. Looks like you did not modify the suggested commercial wheel but indeed made your own. Is that going to be a trade secret or can you show us how you made it. I think a lot of toy makers would be interested in seeing how it was done. If it is going to be one of your signature pieces, I think we are all OK with that also.Thanks for posting the photo.
Tony

Reply with quote  #3 
As requested Udie here are the first few steps. I will continue in another post. Tony

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 519.jpg, Views: 106, Size: 172.65 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 520.jpg, Views: 105, Size: 214.53 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 521.jpg, Views: 100, Size: 151.43 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 522.jpg, Views: 100, Size: 134.12 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 523.jpg, Views: 102, Size: 174.55 KB 

Tony

Reply with quote  #4 
Almost done.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 525.jpg, Views: 111, Size: 187.84 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 526.jpg, Views: 112, Size: 183.04 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 527.jpg, Views: 107, Size: 194.87 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 528.jpg, Views: 114, Size: 184.04 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 529.jpg, Views: 110, Size: 146.00 KB 

Tony

Reply with quote  #5 
Hopefully this is helpful to others. I spent many hour and a few failed attempts to get to this point. These finished wheels are made of cherry all my practices were just MDF. Tony

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 531.jpg, Views: 94, Size: 187.20 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 532.jpg, Views: 98, Size: 200.06 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 533.jpg, Views: 93, Size: 190.13 KB 

Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
Tony big thanks for sharing the procedure and your photos are perfect. Your descriptions with each photo were a big help too. To bad you can not put 2 hole saw sizes on one mandrel and cut the inner and outer circle at the same time. You have given me and the community some good fabrication ideas. I see you have the Dremel Trio and looks like you are using, maybe a Dremel 1/4" router bit. If I did not have one of those any ideas how I would remove the waste material another way. Have you tried using the router bit in the drill press? The RPM's would be a lot slower and I am not sure how the reduced speed would be on Cherry wood. Anyway, great job and again thanks for sharing.
Roe and Milly Elhro

Reply with quote  #7 
Oh my gosh!!!! This is so cool. I'm charged and in the shop trying this out.Thanks!
Roe and Milly Elhro

Reply with quote  #8 
This new bunch of photos is a friggin miracle. I love this. You guys are tops. Wow what a forum. You photos are so boss! I'll be a toymaker yet with you guys on board. Roe
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #9 
those are very cool wheels and look just right for a motorcycle i made some up for a lorry i used a hole saw then when it was cut out i used a flat bit drill or forster drill down the last drill hole to about to half way down that way the wheels have a recessed bit that looks a bit like where the hubcaps are.

Reply with quote  #10 
I got the same wheels, where they are only finished on one side as well, for my Macho Bike
Brilliant work Tony, I would buy these off you if you selling some.
They are really awesome.

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #11 
Great Job Tony
Someone on the forum was looking for a motorcycle to build for his son. 
I hope he sees your post.
Awesome work.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.