Author   Comment  
Connie

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

I’m new to the forum and just finished my first Toymakingplans.com toy set. Thank you for all your posts and videos. I was able to get a lot of help and encouragement by reading past posts and watching some of the videos.

I made a mashup using the ark from the Mini Ark set and the animals from the EZ plan as a birthday present for my granddaughter. I extended the length of the ark by 1 inch for room for more animals. 😀. I used Cynthia’s mineral oil wax recipe and love it. So easy to use! It’s my new go-to finish.

HD had poplar in various shades to make very green alligators, gray/brown elephants and rhinos, and beige camels. I also used red oak, mahogany, and birds’ eye maple for the other animals.

I might make polar bears and deer as a follow-on surprise next month.

Thanks again! This is a great community!
Connie

PS. For some reason, the Insert Photo button is not available on the iPad. So, attaching photos. Click on them to enlarge.

Noah's Fun-Time Mini Ark
Noah's E-Zee Animal Ark

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: AAB27161-17BC-4392-984E-B6F91AC22AD1.jpeg, Views: 97, Size: 2.49 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: D20318B3-E85E-4C95-BABD-710D88692CBF.jpeg, Views: 86, Size: 2.83 MB 

Iggy

Reply with quote  #2 
Well done Connie, that looks a very clean well cut project and I love the way you have used a variety of wood species to get the effect you want. Cynthia's Mineral oil wax is very good at bringing out the grain and enhancing the texture of wood, I can see you put some real thought into this project and were determined to keep it Au- natural, I never use paint if I can help it. I very often use Cynthia's oil and over do it so apply a little heat from a heat gun allowing the excess to drip off, especially in those hard to reach areas. but be aware of the fire risk. I also use clear decking paint which goes on like water and dries in an hour again bringing out the grain and texture of wood. I am not sure how Child friendly it is though. As an after thought, I also use the heat gun to darken wood by scorching and again be careful of the fire risk. Very well done keep it up, we would love to see more.
PS I bet Noah and Lot have had a scrap as they are clearly not talking to one another LOL.

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nicely done Connie

This was also my first plan from here. I haven't made one of these for a long time and you have inspired me to get the plan out and have another go.

Cheers
Rod T

Connie

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks, it was a joy to make!

PS. Iggy, don’t worry, Noah and wife made up. It was a small misunderstanding on whose turn it was to watch for the dove. 🕊 Of course, she was there on the roof the whole time!
Trav

Reply with quote  #5 
This is very, very nice.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
I love arks Connie and this is a real keeper! Thanks for the photos and for posting this fun project.
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
I love arks Connie and this is a real keeper! Thanks for the photos and for posting this fun project.
TomDullage

Reply with quote  #8 
Welcome to the forum Connie, that's a great first build!

Reply with quote  #9 
Very Nice.
Trav

Reply with quote  #10 
I keep coming back to this post to check out that ark. I think I'm going to copy what you've done here next summer Connie. I've made a few of the rooster head noah arks and they are fantastic and a big hit with people. But this certainly looks like a faster build and I'm judging, cheaper on materials. And its  a very attractive piece.
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #11 
Great looking work....well done and welcome to This forum....
Connie

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav
I keep coming back to this post to check out that ark. I think I'm going to copy what you've done here next summer Connie. I've made a few of the rooster head noah arks and they are fantastic and a big hit with people. But this certainly looks like a faster build and I'm judging, cheaper on materials. And its  a very attractive piece.

Thanks, Trav!  Glad you like it.  I went with this Mini Ark option for the easier build and also because of the size.  I also love that it is a self-contained toy for clean-up, like the Rooster Head Ark.

With adding the one inch to the ark length, it easily holds 10 animals, 1 palm tree, Noah, and wife from the other plan.  I could fit a couple more if I stack them carefully. I'm not counting on my granddaughter doing that though. [wink]

It was easy to stack cut the ark sides and end doors, as well as the sides of the house, since they are all 1/2".  If I built another one, I would slide a dowel through hinge holes in the ark sides to keep it better aligned when gluing and clamping the body.  The sides shifted just a little when I tighten the clamps, making the hinge holes a little out of alignment. I was able to fix it, but it could have been easily avoided had I triple checked everything more carefully.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.