Author   Comment  
FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #1 
Image may contain: table and indoor

FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #2 

The ark was built from scrap lumber. Mostly pine. I had to do a lot of work with the ribs to the ark. The plans called for the main set of ribs to be cut from the same piece of wood. Next time I will cut them from separate pieces which will create a lot of waste but each rib set needs to be larger as they stair step up. Each riser needs to actually sit on the tread below it. That logic wasn't incorporated into the design. 

I searched the forum before I started this build and am a bit peeved that those that have built this Ark set and posted their pictures, didn't share that information with the rest of the toy making Community. The same with The designer and their beautiful example model/mock up in all of it's glorious pictures. 

I took some time to carve my pieces. I was going to leave them natural to resemble the Animal Cracker theme but I felt like I would have been taking the easy way out.  The carving and painting the animals bring them to life and take away the puzzle pieces look.

Wombat

Reply with quote  #3 
Fantastic work on those animals, they are leaps and bounds away from being puzzle pieces.
denis_muras

Reply with quote  #4 
Looks great!!

I will keep to using various wood for animal coloration...
FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis_muras
Looks great!!

I will keep to using various wood for animal coloration...

Thanks. Yes, if you have the exotic woods. 

When you did your build and posted your results here on the forum, why didn't you mention how you dealt with the ribs of the Ark? Just curious. 

FromToymakingPlans.com:
Below is an explanation of how to cut out the Ark patterns:
You can cut directly on the line or on the outside edge of the line. Parts 3, 4, 5 and 18 glue directly to Part 1 keel. Each end of the keel has glue surfaces for this purpose. In addition to that, some toymakers run a small bead of glue on the inside of the edge of where the parts 3, 4, 5 and 18 meet each other. Others use a thin scroll saw blade when cutting out the parts and they will fit tightly together. A few toymakers have made each of the 4 parts from separate pieces of wood and have sawn the pieces to shape by staying a little outside of the pattern line. This makes each part overlap each other when assembled.

FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat
Fantastic work on those animals, they are leaps and bounds away from being puzzle pieces.

Thank you. 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 

Hi FarsiderCarvings,

First I want to say that the Ark you have created is absolutely beautiful. The animals are especially artistic and the whole set belongs in a toy museum! This is truly an artistic masterpiece.

I sincerely apologize for the difficulty you have had in building the ark to your high standards. We have no excuse except that this was one of the very first toy plans that we offered years ago and you point out important difficulties with the plan set. When using a very thin scroll saw blade the error is manageable with adding a narrow bead of thick glue to the inside seams. I thickened the glue with powder-like sawdust from the scroll saw.

I am in the process of designing a classic ark to replace this ark that is more on the order of the arks by Arks and Angels M & K Dallas. Here is a link to their fantastic offerings. I am not going copy their designs but this one of theirs has inspired the one that I am working on right now. When I finish the plans I will send a complimentary copy to you to review.

This is a link to the Arks and Angels fantastic website.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArksAndAngelsMDallas?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=179598975

ark.jpg 

Peter V

Reply with quote  #8 

John,

[Quote: "I sincerely apologize for the difficulty you have had in building the ark to your high standards" ]Unquote.

First of all John, do not apologize! At that time, you did your utmost!! 
I am not that far of making an Ark but that is merely and only due to the fact that I am not that good in making animals (yet).

[Quote: I am in the process of designing a classic ark to replace this ark that is more on the order of the arks by Arks and Angels M & K Dallas. Here is a link to their fantastic offerings. I am not going copy their designs but (.......) ] Unquote.

My advise, do not make an ark like Angels M&K because that is absolutely not realistic. It is not a ´normal house´on a boat. Stick to you first (and good) idea. That is how I think about it.

Instead, do try to think about a way to make more easy making planchets with curvings in the ribs or do the pieces of wood like this (the first link ´ohlwein´).

It is a littlebit more work, but it will pay off. Of cours, depending ot the thickness of the planceht, the ´schuinte` (slant, pitch) will vary at each planchet and at each side individually [smile].

http://www.m-ohlwein.de/tipps11.htm
I made some Hortens, made this way. you get a clean, almost very smooth overlap of ´covering`

https://www.ssrp.nl/stamboek/scheepstypes

https://www.scheepstimmerwerk.nl/portfolio/friese-tjalk/ the fourth an third last pictures

https://berkela.home.xs4all.nl/draagstructuur/houten%20gevelbekleding.html

https://bds.home.xs4all.nl/info_artikel/Koftjalken_op_zee-JFM_Bos.pdf

I agree, it is a lot of work but at the end it will pay off.

27 July:
I forgot another link:

I sometimes soak this parts first a while in a combination of amoniac and water

Peter V
FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lewman

Hi FarsiderCarvings,

First I want to say that the Ark you have created is absolutely beautiful. The animals are especially artistic and the whole set belongs in a toy museum! This is truly an artistic masterpiece.

I sincerely apologize for the difficulty you have had in building the ark to your high standards. We have no excuse except that this was one of the very first toy plans that we offered years ago and you point out important difficulties with the plan set. When using a very thin scroll saw blade the error is manageable with adding a narrow bead of thick glue to the inside seams. I thickened the glue with powder-like sawdust from the scroll saw.

John, First and foremost, thank you, sincerely for the compliments regarding my build. 

The issue I had was the difference between the pattern and the actual pictures of the parts going together for the build. The pictures in the diagram were actually different than the pattern. I Emailed support in regards to this and Cynthia replied right away which I also greatly appreciated. She gave me pretty much, the same advice you mentioned above except for the saw dust in the glue trick. 

The disappointment that I am having is with the members of this forum that have done the build but didn't share this difficulty or share how they dealt with it. I thought that was one of the reasons why this forum actually exist. Tooting ones own horn and looking for compliments is great but sharing the build experience should also play a role. I actually came onto the forum before the build and searched the Ark for advice before even attempting this project.   

In my case, I used JB Weld, Quick Wood Epoxy on all the seams of the ribs. My tight bond glue wasn't cutting it. (Should have grabbed a handful of saw dust from the scroll saw) Way to thin. The interior of the Ark was quite the challenge though when it came to sanding. 

This Ark is definitely a great build. The ribs just need some tweaking. Instead of using just one piece of wood for the majority of the ribs, the ribs need to be cut out of several and the sizes staggered. for each cutout. Which will allow for the inside dimensions to be larger. Allowing for a slight overlap. 

I do use very slim blades on my Dewlat but My cuts are in no way 100% perfection. Any variation and that variation becomes a part of the build. It becomes a part of the orientation of the stacking. Especially with the top ribs. The very top rib with the head and tail should be able to go in place in either direction. That requires perfect cuts. Increase the width of the ribs would allow for sanding. I actually stacked 3 pieces and cut them all at the same time. I just had to make extra bottom pieces since there was nothing on the plan allowing for a starter hole. I only used pine but I would image a much more difficult time if I had used a hard wood. Especially with a straight cut vertically. And one also has to contend with the cut marks which also need sanding to remove. 

The only other issue that I had was that the bow and stern notches on the deck were exact. Once I applied my acrylics and then several coats of Polyurethane, I could not place the deck over the head and tail. Simple fix with a file and some touching up of the finish. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.