Author   Comment  
rdredge

Reply with quote  #1 
Another one finished.

Used ash and oak for the ark and animals are select pine.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 78, Size: 918.07 KB 

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice set. That's a lot of cutting on the scroll saw.

Thanks for sharing with the group.

Reply with quote  #3 
rdredge

Your beautiful build made me want to look that this plan set again.

Looking at the boat I see most of the parts are 1/2", could not all the parts be stack cut on the table saw, then while still stacked round over the sides and the ramps on the scroll saw or a sander?  Also cut the windows while still stacked?

We could then stack cut the animals and come out with pairs in one cut each?  You show 7 sets, so only 7 cuts we could be done with the animals, would that work?

I really liked your precision in how well the boat came together.
Very nice work.[smile]

Thanks so much for sharing.

rdredge

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for comments!

Yes, it seems like a lot of cutting on a scroll saw, but that's the part I like best!

Ken, I can't help you with the idea of using a table saw, as I am scared to death of them!!  I cut everything individually.  I even cut out the windows with a scroll saw rather than drilling them.  I am very particular and that way don't have to worry about tear out you sometimes get with drilling.

I was pleased with the look.  I would like to use purpleheart for the hippos and elephants, but I have to order most of my wood and can't see paying $13 shipping for a $10 board!!

I like to cut out a bunch of things and then assemble.  I have quite a few things done from the summer, but don't want to tire you out posting them all!! I am trying to get a big variety of things for a craft show this fall.  Hoping it goes well!

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #5 
rdredge

Wow, I am impressed that you can cut the windows out with a scroll saw and be so accurate.  Great job.

You are a good builder, so don't worry about wearing us out.
Would love to see as much as you want to post.

Your ideas and builds will help a bunch of us get better.

Again, thanks for sharing.

rdredge

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Ken!  I am not always so accurate so I use a dremel and it works great for 'fixing" circles.  Takes a little practice, but be careful, it sands off skin really well too!! Ouch!
ctowne

Reply with quote  #7 
Very nice.  this plan was a huge seller for me last Christmas.  It seemed everyone wanted one, so be ready, once people see it you will get orders for many more.  Funny you said purpleheart for the elephant.  I did the same thing.  lol.  I used yellowheart for the lion.  I like these size animals because if you do have smaller bits of different types of wood, you can cut out an animal.  Very nice job and cutting those windows via a scoll saw is pretty impressive.
Cindy
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Rdredge,

Thanks for posting the photo of the ark set. This is a very clean and tidy build and I love it. And thanks from me personally for all of the great posts and fine projects you have shared with all of us on the forum. I have enjoyed all of them as I do everyone's posts. I get pretty busy running the business and sometimes do not have time to participate in the forum like I want to. 

Do you sell your toys and if so, which are the most popular?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.