Author   Comment  
Bucko

Reply with quote  #1 
This plan is from the Bargain Basement and I built it as a First Noah's Ark set for play. The woods shown have no finish applied and are a mix of Poplar [Ark], Hard Maple[Ramp] and the animals are-Poplar,Walnut,Hard Maple, Cherry and Oak. Mr. and Mrs. Noah are oak also.
   This was a very good set to work with and I enjoyed doing it and I hope you enjoy the pictures of my build.[smile] ark1.jpg  ark3.jpg  ark4.jpg  ark5.jpg I’ll also add some pictures from my IPad.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: AFFFFB63-3E82-4981-8963-4A32B3B8AEC4.jpeg, Views: 21, Size: 600.28 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 7E09BF46-802B-46AF-84C3-1C402C447364.jpeg, Views: 20, Size: 579.60 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 3D5B27BB-FD64-4951-B3A7-8A64DDB500E4.jpeg, Views: 16, Size: 555.91 KB 

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is stunning and beautiful Bucko! Your photos really show off your excellent work!
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Cynthia, I was hoping for some sunshine light to help with this larger photo but it’s late brightening up. This was a very fun build to do in picking out the miscellaneous pieces to use.
Tony

Reply with quote  #4 
Great looking set

Reply with quote  #5 
Those are very, very nice. I've been cutting out a lot of those noah ark animals lately. My sons third birthday is coming up and he's going to give a drawstring bag of animals to each of his party guests.

Bucko, do you mind telling me what species you used for the darker woods? I have ready access to Oak and Maple (they're pretty common around here) but I'm having trouble finding a local source for darker woods. My supplier has a bunch of Elm that he's going to process soon and he tells me that it's a darker species but I've never worked with it.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #6 
Awesome project you have going Trav, the dark woods are Cherry and Walnut . Caution with Walnut as some people are easily allergic to it.
Trav

Reply with quote  #7 
Hmmm, I'm in Atlantic Canada and I wonder if they grow in this area. If they do they're probably rare. There is a hardwood floor maker nearby that, I'm told, imports exotic woods so perhaps I'll try for something there if I don't find another darker hardwood to use.
Thanks 😉

kstano83

Reply with quote  #8 
This is beautiful. You made me buy the plans 😉
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #9 
i love this. You have made a very basic toy Noah's Ark design into a collectibles treasure!
Bucko

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks so very much for the great and supportive replies of which it can’t get more complimentary than to have a forum member get the plan from my build.
Trav I’d like to add I replied to your question on the dark woods from away from home yesterday and looking today at the animals two other of the medium shade of woods are Ash and a darker Oak.
gsmith89

Reply with quote  #11 
Well done Bucko. That looks like it would be a fun project. How did you like working with poplar? That is won of my favorite woods to work with . I am getting ready to help my son build a farmhouse table out to of hard maple. Should be a fun project. Table will have breadboard ends.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #12 
4 years ago I had no interest in th poplar but doing the Madagascar Pirate Ship from Poplar brought me around to it, this Noah’s Ark main body is from local Poplar a friend at work gave me as he knew I’d be interested in the larger width of this piece.. I enjoy cutting the Poplar and this whole Ark and animals was cut with a single #5 blade.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.