Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Woodcutter

Reply with quote  #16 
I also would like to see the more detail as that is what I try to do with mine I get alot of compliments from family and friends I sell some for display only
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #17 
I think this site offers a very varied level of plans.
I am a newbie toymaker and have limited ability so far.

There are plans on here that I can make well that look great, plus others that are really easy, plus some that are way too hard at the moment. It's horses for courses really, there's some highly detailed plans on other sites that are way beyond my skills at the moment, so I'll stick with John's site as he offers varying levels of details with differing skill requirements. I think it's great that there's something for everyone, well done John and Cynthia 👍
shedbuddie

Reply with quote  #18 
I'm with Grandpa Bear on this one John plans are just right for me, if I want more complicated plans I would not be using this site. Ted
BadBob

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedbuddie
I'm with Grandpa Bear on this one John plans are just right for me, if I want more complicated plans I would not be using this site. Ted

+1 Same here. Simple, elegant, easy, and quick to build are what I am interested in.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #20 
Perhaps it's just me, but with respect I think you've misunderstood the point of John's original post shedbuddie & BadBob.

I felt that he was just trying to do a bit of basic Market Research - I guess that as a seemingly switched on business man running his own show he was trying to see if there was any demand within his existing clientele for more complex plans. Surely he (and Cynthia too of course) does NOT want you to go elsewhere if you do want more complex plans!!!

If he does decide to go ahead with more complex plans I can't see that will stop the availability of "Simple, elegant, easy, and quick to build ... " plans being available, just as they are today. 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES
Perhaps it's just me, but with respect I think you've misunderstood the point of John's original post shedbuddie & BadBob.

No misunderstanding here. I am just stating a fact. I'm not interested in building models or toys that are complicated and have lots of parts. If you read all of my posts here, I think it was clear that I'm all for John designing more complicated toys/models. I'm just not his target market. There are a lot of elaborate plans available at low cost from other sources already. I think they look great, but I don't buy them.

If it has more than 20 parts in a design, I'm going to rapidly lose interest.

Just in case your wondering, I currently have about a hundred of Johns plans purchased and free ones. I also have all the books. Probably way more than I will ever make. If he designs something I really like I'm going add it to my buy list.

I also have lots of plans from other sources. If I see a plan I like and the price is right I get it. The internet is great but things have a way of disappearing ovenight.  

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #22 
You guys are right on. We are trying to provide a variety of plans for beginners up to master builders. OUr goal is to make a range of plans to meet the needs of the moment. Many of our master builders build Play Pals-our simplest plans-and also build our most complex plans. Lately we have been receiving requests for more detailed plans that have the look of a model. In other words, look like the real thing. 

We are working on a line of model-like toys that have the look of the real thing but also are designed to play with and to have a minimum of parts. Your 20 parts suggestion is right where we are thinking.

Please continue to keep the ideas flowing on this subject. It is extremely helpful to us as we try to improve the line of toy plans.
Djtjak

Reply with quote  #23 
When I started this thread I should have stated that I'm just a hobbyist and have no plans to sell any of my work. Given how long it took me to build the tow truck I showed earlier, I can assure you no one (including me[smile]) would pay what it would cost based on any reasonable hourly pay.

Reply with quote  #24 
DjTjak, I want to thank you for starting this set of posts. The conversation has helped us a great deal. I think that for all of us the main reason we build toys is for the love of creating things. And I understand that.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djtjak
When I started this thread I should have stated that I'm just a hobbyist and have no plans to sell any of my work. Given how long it took me to build the tow truck I showed earlier, I can assure you no one (including me[smile]) would pay what it would cost based on any reasonable hourly pay.

Sell or not it would not make any difference to me. I'm not going to take on a project that has the potential to take weeks or months to complete. There are too many other things to do.

Yes, I sell some toys. What got me into that was the idea that I could do something I liked to do to make up the difference between my current day job and my retirement pay. I have yet to make a profit.

Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

AES

Reply with quote  #26 
Comment to Djtjak: Yup, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from! (I'll race you to get the title "Slowest worker on here"!) But as John has just said, it's for the love of making things (thank goodness I'm not trying to earn anything from it, I'd starve)!! [smile]

EDIT: (Just to be clear, our 2 posts crossed above Djtjak & BadBob . I was simply jokingly responding to Djtjak's comment about being a slow worker - me too).

Woodcutter

Reply with quote  #27 
I agree with DjTjak I make mine for display no one will pay me what they are Worth I have sold a couple only to my nephew's
shedbuddie

Reply with quote  #28 
No misunderstanding here AES.
Djtjak

Reply with quote  #29 
Just wondering if,under the new structure, there will be any more complicated plans offered?

Reply with quote  #30 
Yes, we are working on new more advanced wood toy plans. We will continue to make even the most advanced toys intuitive to build with easy to find tools, materials and supplies. Stay tuned! We have a great future in the planning stage.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.