Author   Comment  
Bucko

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm posting this topic because we all enjoy our tools. I bought this Shop Fox Oscillating Sander late last summer and I'm quite happy with the performance and job that it does. Sanding has to be one of my least favorite steps of woodworking to do and this machine helps me out more than I would have thought. What's great about this type of toy making is the large expensive tools/machines aren't needed and the completion of all the plans are within reach.   osciat2_opt.jpg  oscilt_opt.jpg
Douglas

Reply with quote  #2 
That is a great tool for making these cars that are 11/2 " wide or more . I can see the benefits . I use my pillar drill for that type of sanding . I would like to have one of these too .   Douglas
Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
Bucko - Yes, these are great. I was lucky to receive one as gift from the kids. Not only is it a drum sander supporting drum sizes from 1/2" to 2" in diameter it also allows me to use belts. It really cuts down on the sanding time and with it's oscillating motion, no grove marks. Many of the big box stores have them and they are quite reasonably priced. So by all means, a shop tool members can easily afford. It's not a must have but is sure nice to have one.
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #4 
I have a Jet oscillating spindle sander and use it often.  It is very good at squaring edges too and when I was doing a lot of intarsia work it really helped make the pieces fit together nicely.

Reply with quote  #5 
Udie
How do you use belts with the oscillating sander as I have one and it is great
KenFM
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
KenFM - I have a different oscillating sander, a Ridgid.
It allows me to remove the belt holding assembly and change it to a drum head.
Because it's still -20°C outside in the garage, I grabbed a couple photos of the net.
The one with the drum is a little out of proportion.

thXF023IKG.jpg  Ridgid-Oscillating-Edge-Belt-Sander.jpg 

KenFM

Reply with quote  #7 
Udie
Thank you for your reply I have never seen this before what a great piece of kit
Ken
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #8 
Hello all
I am just getting used to using the oscillating sander.  But it sure came in handy on the big parts of the rocking horse.  Using it on all the inside cuts really cut down on the hand sanding.

DSC06629_mini.JPG 
Thanks Bucko for sharing the photo of using the oscillating sanding for the wheel wells.  I had not thought of that yet.  
This is what makes sharing of photos so helpful.

Bucko

Reply with quote  #9 
I posted this topic before I left for a double shift yesterday and I'm fortunate I can use my I-Pad there and view the Forum and I must say I'm quite impressed with each and every reply that was made to this topic [thumb].  
1948CaseVAI

Reply with quote  #10 
The price of the Ridgid that Mr. Udie posted is very attractive at Home Depot.  You can find it on ebay and amazon, but curiously most seem to be a lot more expensive than just going to HD and picking one up (at least as far as the HD price in Wichita, KS is concerned).  
Udie

Reply with quote  #11 
Big Box Store Observations: Big Box stores, one in particular, the orange guys, are constantly changing suppliers and tool manufacturers. Adding new lines and dropping lines.
   My word of caution is ... before buying a tool and let us use the oscillating sander for example. Check if they are currently stocking replacement sanding belts and sanding drums. If not, ask where you can buy replacement belts and drums. If locally, good for you, if not locally, then where - the internet ... great, but I need the drum now not weeks from now.
I am very lucky here because I have a couple of stores I can purchase these components as well as a Ridgid service center a short drive away.
   There are a quite a few tools they sell but no replacement parts. Another example is an old school type jig saw, the one with the straight blade and not the new T-Slot ones. These are on sale quite often, Father's day and such. But when it comes time to buy replacement blades, you will find out they no longer carry them, that line has been dropped ..... So, my question is, if I can't buy replacement blades from you, they why would you be selling that model of jig saw?
  I am sure everyone has experienced difficulties trying to purchase replacement batteries for their drills and such.
Buyer beware is all I have to say - be prepared for a second source for your consumables.

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #12 
Oscillating sanders are amazing.....you can sand inside curves and out and never have to worry about wandering off square.

If you don't have one, there's a video on how to turn your drill press into one hooking up the lever to a drill to pull it up and down. it's kind of hinky but it does work.......

For all you canucks, we can't forget about busy bee.....I buy a LOT of stuff from them and they just had a warehouse sale. I had a job where I had to make 70 steel framed panels for an old factory building and bought a portable band saw from them. it was discontinued and was regularly priced at $549, I got it for $225.00....They no longer stocked the blades for it so I ordered them from a place in Etobicoke. Unfortunately I needed them 59" and they made them 5' 9". I took them back and almost decked the guy when he wouldn't take them saying that 59" IS THE SAME as 5' 9"....the manager heard the yelling and came in and sent him away....lol...I said to the manager, do you seriously think he thinks 59" and 5 FOOT 9" is the same? The manager says "yeah, I don't know WHAT he's thinking"...then cut the blades to the right size rewelded them as I waited.....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.