Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
ctowne

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,054
Reply with quote  #1 
Here is my little fleet of Osni Hot Rod VW plan.  I made this at about 85% of the original plan and did not make my own wheels.  I still haven't attempted that feat.  My first use of superglue on those little vents behind the window.  Superglue made adding that part very easy.  I did not add the spoiler because of the target audience for these cars.  This was an easy fun build.  I didn't realize when I was painting that I ended up with almost a rainbow fleet.  I was just picking colors that would contrast well with the black.
Cindy

20151021_062102_resized.jpg  20151021_062131_resized.jpg 

cynthia lewman

Avatar / Picture

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Registered:
Posts: 436
Reply with quote  #2 
I love your yummy colors, Cindy! I bet you sell these in multiples. They are really cute.
john lewman

Avatar / Picture

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Registered:
Posts: 2,819
Reply with quote  #3 
These are wonderful Cindy. I like the reduced size.
Udie

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,179
Reply with quote  #4 
Cindy - these look fantastic.
Scaling down, another great idea and proved to work out well.
Couple questions:
The centre section in the plan set used 3 pieces and it looks like you used one, is that correct.
So what wood did you use for this project.
And what wheel sizes did you select.
Wheels look good and suite your modifications as well as it looks like your Hot Rod VW's will be very comfortable to hold an play with.
Always excited to see your workmanship -thanks for posting.
ctowne

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,054
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks Cynthia and John.

Udie - the center of these are 1.25", not quite 2- 3/4" pieces.  I preglued a 3/4" piece and 1/2" piece.  This is about the thickest I can cut without getting that drift (not sure what to call it).  There are 2 outside pieces that are each 1/4" thick that worked well with the wheels I used.  All of it is made of poplar.   The front wheel is 1" and the back is 1.25".  The plan reduction worked very well.  Sometimes reducing requires a  little tweaking but this was right on.   This was reduced around 85% of original it may have been 87%.   Because the wheel wells are tight around the wheels, I kept reducing until I hit the size right on.  I know each printer would do it differently.  I would print page 18 at various sizes around the 85% mark and held up put the wheels in the opening to make sure they fit.  Not very scientific but it works for me.  Now that I have made the prototype I do not remember the exact size.   I was so excited about it working out that I forgot the headlights.  OOppps, I will get them next time.   
Cindy
ed357sw

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 724
Reply with quote  #6 
Very nicely done! Good colors, there are sure to sell well for the little ones.

For some reason I never thing about reducing or enlarging the patters DUH!I just plow along one cut in front of another LOL

Cool Stuff Cindy

__________________
Ed - Making sawdust in the shop [wave]
Rosiejane

Registered:
Posts: 273
Reply with quote  #7 
These look great. I like the colour contrast with the black.
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/handmadebyrosalieAU
wwalker47

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 417
Reply with quote  #8 
Cindy-

Those are great looking bugs. The original plans were small enough for me in the first place l can't imagine putting them together that small. You did a good job!


__________________
-Bill  [comp]

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
KenFM

Registered:
Posts: 118
Reply with quote  #9 
Cindy
Are you making these for a craft fair if so they will fly off the shelf. The choice of colours are great
Ken
ctowne

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,054
Reply with quote  #10 
Thank all.
KenFM - I've been super busy this year with my day job so I'm very far behind on producing and because of the uncertainty of my time, I  could not enroll for the big shows.  I am getting ready for any last minute Christmas fair that I can find.  There is a small neighborhood talent show fund raiser and they have asked a few neighborhood artists to display their "talent".  Not a traditional craft show but it is getting me out there now that I have some time.  I am hoping that will lead to handing out many cards.  Last year another "surprise" fund raiser for a school yielded a pretty good sale day.  I went with odds and ends toys and ended up selling lots.  Hoping for that same thing this year.
Cindy
osni chioveto

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 192
Reply with quote  #11 
Crowne Hi, congratulations on your work, loved the colors.

Banjo57G

Registered:
Posts: 61
Reply with quote  #12 
Hi ctowne,

Great job on the VW bugs and very nice colours. I don't think you will have trouble selling them.


Graham.
JTalbot

Registered:
Posts: 243
Reply with quote  #13 
I love the colors! i know what you mean by being behind on the toymaking, I am in the same boat. Scaling plans is a great way to diversify your toy line up. As for using super glue, may I suggest two part epoxy. The bond is inseparable!
Jeremy

__________________
Jeremy Talbot
Little Al's Garage
ctowne

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,054
Reply with quote  #14 
Jeremy - thanks for the tip - I will give the epoxy a try. 
Udie

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,179
Reply with quote  #15 
Cindy
Not trying to sound to girly - but they do look cute.
Thanks for the post.
Always enjoy seeing your projects.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.