Author   Comment  
Douglas

Reply with quote  #1 
I had a go at the Hotrod  as you can see . I think the next time I make this I will use Pine . This was made from MDF and I don't like it . It doesn't look too bad , but Osnis is brilliant compared to my effort .  Has anyone else tried to make this ?

Osni's 1931 Hot Rod Ford Roadster

S1440001.JPG  S1440002.JPG

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #2 
Looks good to me.
   I thought about making it but was afraid it might be to fragile for kids play.
Now that it is done, what do you think?
Is it strong enough for young kids to play with, or is it more of a model toy?
Thanks for sharing.

Douglas

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Ken , I think if the Hot rod was made out of hardwood or even Pine ,it would be a good toy . If you do make it ,I strongly suggest that you dowel/pin the exhaust outlets and the air intake to the engine ,because that is the weakest point of the model . If the kids treat it like kids do ,these will break off if only glued on . The windscreen is weak for a child too ,so you might think about a solid screen or no screen . Cheers Douglas [biggrin]
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Douglas for the ideas about making the Hot rod stronger.
I will give your suggestions a try when I get to building this car.

Udie

Reply with quote  #5 
Douglas - Nice job on the roadster. Extra scroll work on the wheels and flames look great.
How challenging was it to make the flames?
Interesting comments about the robustness of this toy and a great feedback for all to read.
So, what age bracket would you recommend this toy for?

DavidT

Reply with quote  #6 
The cut-out flame design is a clever idea. Think of how much work it would be to paint a design like that instead.

I had no idea what was being made from MDF until I joined this forum. Do saw blades wear out faster than with solid wood?

Good work.
pdaunno

Reply with quote  #7 
Douglas - The roadster looks really good!  I have not tried making one.  The flames look great and I suspect you stack cut them on the scroll saw?  I imagine it was harder to not make a mess gluing them on than actually cutting them out.

Reply with quote  #8 

Hotrod looks really good, Just a quick tip when I use MDF for making small parts I run very thin super glue all over the part after sanding down it makes it very strong. But do after you sand down or you will not be able to sand it will be too hard.

Douglas

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Udie , it is difficult to say what age group this sort of toy would suite ,because kids these days after the age of 5/6 are into computer games ,and that is all they seem to live for . I would say this is more of a model than a toy ....something to display .
Douglas

Reply with quote  #10 
The flames for the hotrod were not too difficult .. You need a wood that wont split out on the grain to easily . I used beech as it is a tight grained wood . I did stack them to cut them together , but before I started to cut I drilled out all of the loops in the flames with a 10mm drill bit , then the cutting left was easy , almost straight line work .  To attach them to the model ,I used PVA wood glue as any glue that squeezes out that you cannot wipe off ,dries clear .
Douglas

Reply with quote  #11 
Lloyd , that is a good tip about using super glue to strengthen small mdf parts . I did actually do that on the rear tow bar assembly . Thanks .I am sure other people will find that useful . Douglas [thumb]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.