Author   Comment  
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #1 
Question to Ken or one of you other good folks that tint wood in the oven, I was playing around this morning and I put 2 horses from one of the toy's in the oven and I used pine as that's what i had in hand. I laid them flat and got a nice tint on the sides but the grain where the saw cuts where did not tint hardly at all. So I guess the question is should i have stood them on their feet and would that have tinted the edges better ?
I also put some fenders there as well out of pine and got the same result. The sides did nicely but the edges in between the grain did not tint hardly at all but the grain line tinted almost as dark as the sides....

Just curious. I also threw a piece of popular in there just for a test and it completely tinted on all sides equally.

Just curious what others have seen in this area.

Thanks

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Ed

I have found that the heavy grained woods like pine and redwood will do as you said above.
You will not be able to even out the areas between the grain lines, if you are trying to get them as dark as the grain lines.  I do not know why this happens, but as the wood is baking the grain lines become more obvious. I have not tried standing the wood on it's edge, because I don't have much height in the oven, and to be honest, I have never thought of it.  Might be worth a try.

The reason the small toaster ovens bake differently in different parts of the oven is because they have hot and cooler spots in the oven.  I have tried turning the wood and it helps some sometimes, and does nothing other times.  I have wondered if a bigger oven or a convection oven would bake more even on the wood.

The woods with finer grains will bake much more even.

One thing that might help some is to bake the parts you want before you cut them out.
As the baking goes all the way through you might get a little more even bake on the wood.

Note:  Once I tried cutting a puzzle pal from Toymakingplans.com out of Maple.  Of course I had to cut the parts out first, and after baking the parts, they would not fit back into the puzzle because the wood expanded so much.  NOT GOOD FOR A PUZZLE

Baking is some what of a guessing game.  It will turn out different if the moisture content of the wood is up, or there is a little of sap in the wood.
I have baked Baltic Burch plywood with some good results and some not so good.  If overdone at all the outside veneer will peel off.

Often times when you think the wood is ruined because of light and/or darker areas or spots from sap, you can sand them out and get them to look somewhat more even or like normal wood spots.  Then when you finish with Cynthia's beeswax/mineral oil (or whatever finish you choose to use) you will get an acceptable result.

Hint:  The longer you bake your wood, the less the finish will give you the look you want.
It becomes like trying to put a finish on a charcoal bracket, because the wood becomes more and more porous the more you bake it.
Also, it will turn a lot darker than you think when you put your finish on.  Often times when baking the wood, I will take a piece or one of the wheels out of the oven when I think I am half way through, and put some finish on the piece, just to see how dark it is really going to get, so I don't over do the wood.
Many times you don't see much change in the wood until you put the finish on it.

Sorry I can not answer better that, but I am just a beginner as well.  Maybe some of our more experienced people will have better answers.

Good luck and keep baking, because when it does come out it gives you an awesome look.

Udie

Reply with quote  #3 
Ed (ed357sw)
The wood does get tinted thru it entire thickness.
There are lots of great articles on the Forum on this technique as well as a few WTN (Wood Toy News) articles on the topic.
Even photos of cross-sectional pieces.
You might want to try the 'Search' function on the Forum and use buzz words like cooking wood, heat treating and tinting wood as you search words.
You will be surprised at what you will find.
I use the 'Search' function a lot when looking for specific posts on a topic of interest.
There is so much here to see and read.
Works for me.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.