Author   Comment  
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone,
 A neighbor recently had me make a train for his 6 year old grandson. He asked me if I could also make a plane for his older grandson. I have several plans already for planes but took this opportunity to purchase the P-51/1927 Bi-plane combo (don't tell my wife!). Here are the completed P-51's. They are made from pad auk and mahogany with an oak canopy. The only alteration was to add a 1/8 dowel through the body into the tail in order to give it more strength than just the glue. I liked the plane so much I made one for myself. Old kids need toys too! The 1927 Bi-Plane is currently in the production hanger.
                                                                                                               Brian   

p51 mustang 1.jpg p51 mustang 4.jpg p51 mustang 5.jpg p51 mustang 7.jpg 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
These are amazing and great workmanship combined with beautiful woods. The dowel pin is an excellent improvement. Well done! We look forward to seeing the bi-plane.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Brian

Really nice job on the P-51.  I to like the woods used.
Mums the word to your wife.

The dowel fixes a point of worry for me, good thinking.

AES

Reply with quote  #4 
Really nice work Brian, thanks for posting. As well as your choice of woods, what I really like is the fact that to anyone who knows what a P51 Mustang looks like (i.e. just about everyone!) these toys are obviously carefully "refined" to be robust enough to withstand normal children's play.

I don't know these plans but it sounds like your dowel modification was a good idea.

Lovely stuff Sir.

AES 

AES

Reply with quote  #5 
Really nice work Brian, thanks for posting. As well as your choice of woods, what I really like is the fact that to anyone who knows what a P51 Mustang looks like (i.e. just about everyone!) these toys are obviously carefully "refined" to be robust enough to withstand normal children's play.

I don't know these plans but it sounds like your dowel modification was a good idea.

Lovely stuff Sir.

AES

ctowne

Reply with quote  #6 
These are great.  And I agree we all need to keep one for ourselves.  I too put an 1/8" dowel through the tail section. 
Cindy
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #7 
Very nicely done Brian. [thumb]
I might have to go build myself one LOL. I have the plans but between building all the other stuff I don't seem to have the time LOL

Thanks for sharing ...

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes indeed very nice,.I notice that Toymakingplans offers 2 versions of the P-51 , a scroll saw version and a table saw version. Once again great work and results on your version Brian.
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm glad I joined this forum. I am inspired and humbled everyday by the projects that I see others completing and displaying. The members of this forum are indeed very talented and committed to their hobby. Thanks again.
                                                                  Brian
garywisbey

Reply with quote  #10 
really nice work there like the woods as well

Reply with quote  #11 
Very nice work! I have always liked the P-51. Love the wood choices.

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.