Author   Comment  
Crabby Dave

Reply with quote  #1 
Sorry to ask a repeat question as I saw this a while back but at the time was not having the problem.  As directed I'm using two coats of primer and finishing with 3 to 5 coats of color.  I'm finding that after a coat or two of color it starts to bubble and crack in small areas.  I'm sanding down and re-priming but I find it often comes back or appears in a different location. Using both recommended paints so could be mixing different brands on each other but unlikely. What is causing and what is the solution?

Thanks, love the plans.  All are not is quick and easy as they sound but that's OK.

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Crabby Dave,

To better understand your problem can you tell me what brand of paint and primer you're using? The primer and the final coats need to be compatible. For example you wouldn't want to mix an enamel paint with a lacquer paint, or a water based paint with a solvent based paint.

The other potential cause for bubbling could be the water content in your wood or if the surface of the wood has any grease or dirt on it on it before you started painting.

And finally, if there's high humidity where you're painting or spraying that can cause the problem.

Or, a combination of all of the above.
Sdaupanner

Reply with quote  #3 
May I ask something if you are having the problem several times do you have Oil or Silicon from your tools in small amounts and even if you did not have this problem then I am offering a solution and that is first coat with a coat of shellac the reason I say this is that shellac put on make a barrier coat for your paint and the paint will adhere to it. 

Point: For anybody that has problems with water spots on your ceilings or in the Kitchen has grease spot you can coat over these spots then go ahead and do what ever it is that you need to do. This is an old painters Secret from Many years ago ... Check it out!!!
Crabby Dave

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for your help.  Have to do a little research but using only Krylon and Rust-Oluem spray paints per your suggestions. Didn't think about these being different bases.  Will have to check and see if they are the same.  Could be my problem.  Don't believe its oil or tools, pretty careful there.  Wood is old stuff and pretty sure it is well dried.  Shop is climate controlled so don't think humidity is a problem especially in Iowa in the winter, now summer is a different subject.

Thanks for the help and everyone have a great day.

Reply with quote  #5 
I have had the problem of paint bubbling or a crackle finish after spraying a clear coat on top of the color. I normally use the Rustoleum spray paint. I have noticed that the can directions say to recoat within a short time, a few hours, or wait 72 hours to recoat. I have waited the number of hours that the can says and do not have any problems. Some of the colors and clears have different time directions so I assume that each paint color can have a unique time to recoat.
Bruce - TheWingdoctor

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.