Author   Comment  
mlusk123

Reply with quote  #1 
What do you all use to set your freshly painted projects on? Have you made your own little paint stand? Attach a pic of it if you can...

Thanks,
Michael [smile]

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Michael, There are a few posts in this category that address paint stands. Here's one: Painting Small Parts.

There's also a video Udie made that has a great solution for painting small parts: Build a Perfect Rotating Turntable for painting Small Parts

Cynthia
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
I like to use dowels for any thing that has hole in it. I put the dowel in a convenient hole and then use it as a handle while I'm painting. To dry them I simply insert te dowel in a hole in a block of wood. Like so:

20170719_221800.jpg 
I use a lot of pointed dowels. These work best with wheels but can also be used with larger parts. Drill your holes in the stands slightly bigger than the dowels so you can get them in and out easily. I find the MDF works much better for the base than any think else. It stays flat and the holes don't shrink on you when the humidity is low and the holes stay round. MDF is heavy and this is an advantage if you are going to use this for larger parts like Freaky Ford bodies. Use 3/4 inch or thicker and din drill all the way through. I find that a 1/2 inch grid of holes work well. To far apart and you waste space, to close and you wasted a lot of time drilling holes you don need.

20170716_082911_HDR.jpg 

For smaller parts you can drill a small hole where it can't be seen after assembly and insert smaller dowels or skewers. For larger car or truck bodies drill a hole in the bottom at the balance point and insert a dowel. When your done you can cut it flush with the surface (tricky) or pull it out and plug the holes. Always plug the holes because little children will stick their fingers in them and there is a chance they could get stuck.

20171230_162657_HDR.jpg 
20171231_175904_HDR.jpg  20171231_175920_HDR.jpg  20171231_180008_HDR.jpg  20171231_175705_HDR.jpg 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

mlusk123

Reply with quote  #4 
That is a great idea, Bob! Great pics too! Thank you for sharing that.

Michael

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.