Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #16 
Hi Bubba,

You can use a clear polyurethane sealer as a final coat. There are several brands on the market. MinWax has a brush-on clear polyurethane and Krylon makes a clear spray. We recommend 3-4 light coats sanding each coat lightly with 220 sandpaper. Do not sand the final coat.

We like Krylon's Triple Thick Clear Glaze and Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane brush on. You can buy clear coat products in a variety of finishes such as Satin and Gloss.

Cynthia

Bubba

Reply with quote  #17 
Thank you so much Cynthia 😉
Bubba

Reply with quote  #18 
I checked the Home Depot in Canada all of the MinWax polyurethane products have a "poison / irritant" sign on them. Will that be safe to use on children's toys?
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #19 
Hi Bubba,

Those products are non-toxic and safe when dry. Most finishes are toxic when they're not dry. They include toxic solvents that evaporate while drying. It's been illegal in the USA for almost 40 years to manufacture paints that are toxic when dry.

Cynthia
Bubba

Reply with quote  #20 
Hi Cynthia, 

I see the Minwax is oil based, and I have used water based acrylic paints for painting the wood. Would the Minwax adhere to the paint? (I know in art you don't mix water and oil mediums...)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.