Author   Comment  
JTalbot

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello gang! I am trying to wrap up a special project for a little boy, who likes Caterpillar trucks. I built a toy inspired by the giant 797 mining truck. Problem is, the truck is made from a combo of mdf and solid wood. The spray paint that I bought is not working. I have seen posts, and I cannot find them, where folks have gotten great results from brush on products. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Jeremy

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
I have good luck using plain old white acrylic latex washable house paint as a primer. Apply one coat, dry gently with a hair dryer. Sand lightly with 220 sandpaper. Repeat for second and third coat. Apply the first final color coat using the same type of paint. Sand lightly with 220 sandpaper. Apply anotheAr coat and sand very lightly with 220. Add a final coat or twoof water based clear gloss polyurethane finish. Use fine steel wool to give the final dry coat a nice sheen and to remove all little nits, bugs and dust. This finish can look like a sprayed auto finish.
Willem

Reply with quote  #3 
I use Heritage craft paint on my toys. No undercoat. It stick well to mdf also. After I painted it I spray one or two coats varnish which I buy in aerosol cans. It bring the colors out very bright.
John Deere tractor and Trailer.jpg  Tractor 2.jpg  Tractor 3 with trailer.jpg 

john lewman

Reply with quote  #4 
This is so cool a set of photos Willem - and an ideal solution to a quality toy finish. I like the way the wood grain preserves the wood look with this finish. Brilliant idea and now my first choice for color toy finishes. I experimented with a clear semi-gloss brush on poly finish and it looks very good. I am going to try high gloss using your technique.
shedbuddie

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello Willem nice work, was the shape of the tractor in the third image based on the Field Marshall. Ted
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I use a lot of Oops Paint from Home Depot I found that indoor/outdoor paint with primer included gives me the best coverage. I also have them mix colors for me on occasion. 

I also use acrylic craft paints with mixed results. Some cover very well while others require a white primer or white paint undercoat and lots of color coats to work well.

I have used some expensive airbrush acrylics. Other than being able to spray out of the bottle the airbrush paints are not any better than the craft paint for my purposes.

Like John suggests I also have used white house paint as primer.

If I want a clear coat I use clear shellac.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

mrmom9

Reply with quote  #7 
One of the things I have started doing is I will buy the sample bottles from Home Depot. It is a great way to get different colors of paint for $3 a color. The only problem is they don't offer Gloss Paint in their samples so you have to settle for Semi Gloss.

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you all for the input I have recieved on this subject. I built this dump truck based off of plans from a popular woodworking magazine. I ended up using 2 coats of house hold primer, followed up by spray on paint from Rustoleum. The truck is built from recycled lumber and mdf.
Jeremy

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: FB_IMG_1559886715487.jpg, Views: 24, Size: 26.63 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: FB_IMG_1559886705057.jpg, Views: 21, Size: 35.72 KB 

john lewman

Reply with quote  #9 
That is an amazing dump truck and inspiring toymaking at it's best. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.