Author   Comment  
siemensj

Reply with quote  #1 
I currently have a bunch of play pals toys sanded and ready for painting. I have made the turn table as described on this site for painting and I realized that I can only do one toy at a time and this could be very time consuming. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to paint multiple toys at once to speed up this process?
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
siemensj
   Great question and really depends on which method of painting you are doing - spray or brush.
The Play Pals whether they are made from Framing lumber (Spruce), Pine or MDF do have some weight to them and could be spray painted. There are many ideas for painting stand offs in this section which will support the Play Pal cutout without blowing them off the stand offs with the aerosol. If laid flat on your stand off method, you will be able to spray paint one side and the edges. Then carefully pick up the sprayed Play Pal using the unpainted side and move it to your drying area. Depending on who's spray aerosol you use, drying time before touching will range usually from Ten (10) minutes to one (1) hour. After drying, you will then be able to flip it over and spray the other side. Light sanding is recommended before you apply your second coat to achieve a smoother coat.
   Brush painting with craft paints is done in stages also. Try holding the Play Pal by the sides and hand brush the edges first, be careful not to have too much paint go over the edge onto the sides, that will result in a ridge, a paint build up, similar to a drip. These ridges should be brushed out before you lay your piece on your drying rack. Craft paints are quick drying, so that after you have hand painted the edges on many Play Pals, by the time you finished painting your last Play Pal, the first one you painted will be dry enough to now handle by the edges and you can commence painting the sides. Check each side for the ridges, sand if necessary before you apply paint to the sides. By doing it this way, many Play Pals can be painted, multiple coats, in a short period of time in one evening.
   Components for larger projects and even wheels can be painted by using the hot melt glue and nail approach, or inserting the nail head in the axle hole from the back side, or use a dowel which has been sharpened in a pencil sharpener and insert into the wheel axle hole from the back side. All of these methods will give you a handle to rotate the item allowing you to paint all the surfaces even the back at one time. All of these methods are demonstrated in articles and videos found in the WTN (Wood Toy News) section, Archived Toymakers Gallery articles, Wood Toy Workshop and in this section of the Forum.
   Hope some of the above helps you in some way.
If more information is required, feel free to ask for more assistance.

Frankg

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi,

Here I am referring to spray gluing paper patterns......
Speaking of things flying off the work surface due to light weight and "blowing" off the work are with the spray can air pressure.
I have found a problem with small patterns like the pay pals to do just that. There are some patterns that are even smaller.
My solution is to glue several patterns on a large strip of paper using a glue stick. Trim the paper strip close to the edges of the patterns. Then spray the whole strip at once and lay it on the work piece. That works quite well for me.
Just be sure to pay attention to your wood grain direction that it is going in the proper direction when you lay out the patterns. Hope this is helpful[idea] I have also discovered that the spray glue interacts with the glue stick adhesive if you do it too soon. Give the glue stick adhesive some time to set before applying the spray adhesive.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Udie and Frank!
This will definitely help. 
   I do spray painting and am just starting to get the hang of this and have learned the hard way that light coats of paint is the only way that works.
   I am a really step by step approach type of guy and would love to see a tutorial of how the play pals are done the most efficiently from scroll saw cutting to final coat of bees wax. I have seen the router video but am looking for something more detailed in the sanding and painting and assembly areas.
   I really appreciate all the info that is on the site and have looked through quite a bit and I am sure I will learn lots as I work.

What are some of the essential sanding tools that you would recommend?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.