Author   Comment  
Anthony

Reply with quote  #1 
Is it best to paint after assembly or to paint the individual parts before assembling them? Thanks, Anthony Roselle, Illinois
Udie

Reply with quote  #2 
Great question Anthony. I guess it really depends on the project, components required and the various build stages of the project. Sometimes you are able to paint interior type surfaces before you add the piece that closes it in making it either inaccessible or very difficult to reach with a paint brush. Personally speaking I prefer to paint each component prior to assembly. I make sure not to paint where I know the part will mate/be glued to another component. Both surfaces should be free of paint for the glue to do its job. If you are going to spray paint your components before assembly you will now have to do some masking, again protecting the areas where glue will be applied. I regularly use the Hot Melt Glue on a nail to hold my components when painting and then place them on the home made Paint/Drying Rack.
I would be very interested in hearing what other forum member’s preferences are and how they tackle this problem, so let’s jump in and share your technique.
Anthony

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Udie,

I also like to paint the pieces before assembly. It eliminates wavy paint lines where two parts are joined and they are different colors.

Regards,
Anthony
Roselle, illinois
Roe and Milly Elhro

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey Anthony, can you post some pics on how you do this? I am stumped.
Roe and Milly Elhro

Reply with quote  #5 
Udie's tips are tops but I could sure use some pics to help my thick head see this.
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
Roe and Milly,nice to see you back on the forum. Painting tips try this:

Go to the Toymakingplans.com 'Home' page. On the top left is my smiling face with 'Meet Our Toymakers'. Click on the 'Go' tab and it brings you to the 'Toymakers Gallery'. The article you are looking for is 'Imants Udris Shares Toymaking Workshop & Building Tips'. At the bottom of page 1 you will see the Paint/Drying Rack and my method for mounting. Continue to page 2 for other tips. Unfortunately I cannot post photos when I reply as a comment, but I will post with photos also. Hope this helps.
Udie

Reply with quote  #7 
Here are a couple of photos taken from the above referenced document as promised. I think this is the visual aid you were looking for. Hope this helps. I have also posted a photo of using printed labels and what you can do. If any other forum members have a special way of painting components please jump in and post your methods and photos. We are always looking for easy ways of doing things.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 549.jpg, Views: 109, Size: 117.85 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 551.jpg, Views: 126, Size: 141.42 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 552.jpg, Views: 126, Size: 164.65 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 553.jpg, Views: 127, Size: 165.57 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 554.jpg, Views: 120, Size: 140.84 KB 

Roe and Milly Elhro

Reply with quote  #8 
Thx Udie. This is just the ticket. I am doing some stuff this weekend and this will help a bunch. I've got a lot to learn and would never have come up with this on my own. Roe
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.