Author   Comment  
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #1 
I owe someone a big apology.  I was asked a question about painting the The Easy Basic Car Carrier . This was posted but the post was lost. I hope this explains it.

DSC05200_mini.JPG

The paint I use from Krylon is just their normal gloss paint, not a special model paint.  It is not an acrylic paint because you have to clean up with mineral spirits, but I am not sure what that means.  
This paint comes in a spray can and even though they say it is a paint and primer, I always use a plain primer before spraying on the color, except when doing the black wheels, they cover really good with just the blackpaint/primer combination. Satin or Gloss finish.  I do buy my wheels, and they are a hare wooden wheel.
In the hard to reach areas, like inside windows, I like to first use an acrylic craft primer and paint, then when spraying the color I don't have to concentrate the spray on that area.  This gives me a cleaner spray around the window areas without the risk of drips.
I always sand after the primer twice.  Once with about 100 grit nail boards and then with a synthetic pad.  These pads are the same as using 0000 grade steel wool and gives the surface a very clean surface for the paint coats.

I sometimes will use a brush on gray primer before spraying on the color.  

I am trying to keep the cost down, and yet do the best job I can, so I will be proud of the paint job when I present the toys to children or their parents.  If I was making Model Toys like Lloyd does I would spend more time on thepaint process.

I use regular wood glue when applying the painted parts.  All parts are masked during the painting process.  I will let the piece sit for a few minutes then take an old paint brush, and wet it with water to remove the squeeze out glue.  Must be careful to keep rinsing the paint brush, otherwise you will just be spreading a thinned glue around, then I dry the area with paper towels.  Usually works good, however, if I leave a little mark from the water they will wax out.

If the weather is bad, I like to use acrylic craft paints, because I can paintinside the shop, and they dry really fast.  The trick there is good sanding between coats to get a smooth finish.  When you finish the toy with a varnish or clear coat it looks almost as good as the spray on finishes. I do like using the craft paints because you can get all the coats of primer and paint on in one day.

I do the same thing as Lloyd does when spray painting.  First coat of primer is just to look for defects, and gets a real heavy sanding, the second coat of primer is for coverage, then the 1st coat of color is to look for defects again, and the finish coat of color is heavier for coverage.  Always sanding in between all coats except after the final finish coat.

I am wanting to force myself to us an airless system, but like I said, have not been willing to invest the time in the learning curve.  Maybe someday.

Hope something here will help a little.

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Ken, I've made toys for a long time yet I learn something new from you every time you post. I found this extremely useful. Thanks for the detail.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks John
It really seems like every time we do a toy we're learning as well.
Ken.

Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
I came across this picture/ post from Ken Martin and am just awed at the impression this build presents, this forum lost a fantastic member with the loss of Ken.
eburk

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for reposting this Bucko, I had not seen this before and it does help answer a couple of questions.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.