Author   Comment  
Greg

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All 
I am new to this toy making cult and am having fun learning from every ones  experience.
Like most people learning a new skill the learning curve is helped by all the great information in the Forums.
My question is does anyone use a LPHV sprayer when doing their painting. what are the pros and cons on this method?
thanks for any information 
Greg
KenFM

Reply with quote  #2 
Greg
High Volume Low Pressure
I have been using HVLP spray equipment for the past 20 years spraying furniture. I was using water based dyes and stains followed by clear water based lacquer.
The equipment was Wagner and due to it being run direct from the electric mains It was easy to use as the pressure never drops so you do not have to wait for a the compressor tank to fill.
Now I am producing toys by volume I will be looking to purchase another small HVLP machine with a small cup gun (easy to adjust the spray pattern from spot to full fan pattern and the amount of material applied) I will colour the toys by hand painting and follow up with 2 coats of water based clear lacquer gloss/satin or matt sanding with 320 grit between lacquer coats using the HVLP. I liked to use opaque colours so will not be spraying stains or dyes. To spray colours the gun would have to be cleaned after each colour is used and you will never remove all the previous colour. Remember you will be putting more spray into a workshop than using small cans of lacquer so ventilation and a good vapour mask required. Practice the spray pattern best for the type of work you are finishing.
It is also economic to purchase your finishing product by the gallon.
You can dilute the lacquer by up to 10% but most HVLP machines will spray neat product.
Go onto You Tube to watch HVLP being used.
I trust this will help your decision.
Ken
KenFM

Reply with quote  #3 
Greg
I also finish all my toys using Cynthia's none-toxic bees wax.
Ken
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.