Author   Comment  
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #1 
I was asked by a friend if I could make some personalised chairs for 2 of her grandkids. She wanted them by Christmas. After working on them off and on for the last few months, I finally got them finished and just put the final coat of varnish on them yesterday. 

The first pic is the inspiration photo that she sent me, wanting me to replicate the curves and heart and the second is my version. I didn't really have any idea of dimensions so I loosely based it on some other chairs that I had done. The test one that I did was slightly out of proportion so I changed it slightly and then made the final 2 that you see below. The names are painted. She was very happy with the end result.

Is it just me or do others find that they struggle to look past all the mistakes that you know are there? I know we are our own worst critics.

IMG_4161a.jpg 

2017-12-22 17.33.43.jpg 

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is very careful and artistic craftsmanship. I am impressed with the fit and finish. You are quite the professional woodworker and artist. Wow!
Greg

Reply with quote  #3 
Wow those are beautifully done   [thumb][thumb]    My  wife tells me I am my own worst critic  and lets me know that its normal to see what imperfections are there ( or we think are there)    

Bucko

Reply with quote  #4 
A proper chair is not so easy to make, these chairs are to be proud of.
Tony

Reply with quote  #5 
Instead of looking for phantom mistakes look at the results-the happy customer looks like a great job to me

Reply with quote  #6 
I am agreeing with everyone else these look fantastic and you should be very proud of them well done.
Rod T

Reply with quote  #7 
These are great. You have done really well to create these from scratch. Not easy with chairs.

Cheers
Rod T
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you all for your kind comments.

A tip for wobbly chairs. One of these had a slight 'rock' because one leg was just slightly short so I put a dab of hot glue under each leg and then pressed the chair down firmly on the floor (put a square of non-stick baking paper under each leg). Fixed that wobble right up [smile]

Reply with quote  #9 
They look fantastic Rosiejane!  What method(s) of joinery did you use?  Dowels, pocket holes, etc?  I also struggle with letting go of the mistakes.  Have started calling them customizations to make me feel better [smile]
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #10 
jasonshanks - I used pocketholes for the frame (first time I've used them for a chair project) and normal screws for attaching the back and seat. I made plugs for the screws attaching the back since they were visible but left all the other ones unplugged since they were underneath.
EDIT: I attached the heart panel to the top and bottom of the back rest using dowels.

Yes, our 'customisations' add to the handmade charm. While building I'm always seeing the project at a close range. It's likely that others won't be studying them so closely to notice the mistakes.

Reply with quote  #11 
Those are very well done... This stuff is not so easy to make. I made a small table (end table i suppose) and even after measuring 3 times still managed to get one piece off and had to go back an fix it. Good thing I used pocket holes for the assembly LOL

We are all our own worse critic...

I like the script for the names as well..
Thanks for sharing

Reply with quote  #12 
The result is beautiful.
The girls must be really thrilled to have their own chair.

- Miriam -

Reply with quote  #13 
Awesome!!  Love the tip about the hot glue leveler, as well.  I know that whenever I try to cut multiple pieces to the same length, even using a fence or taping smaller pieces together and running them all through the saw at the same time, I *still* manage to come out with one that's 1/64" shorter/longer than the others.  Wood is like that...it loves to be shaped into things, made into projects, but it also has a sense of humor and likes screwing with us (har...pun not intended, but funny nonetheless).

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.