You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Bargain Basement $3 Wood Toy Plans (Reg. $4.95-$19.95)! Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Peter V

Reply with quote  #1 

Hello Luitjes,

I finished (except painting) the low-boy and tractor.

It was fun building it. 

Ther is however one thing I don't understand and that is that, when the lowboy hooked onto the tractor the right front wheel of the tractor is liftd by about 1 mm. Without Lowboy attached, all wheels are on the ground. Cannot find out where the problem is/why it occours.

Any tips?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 025.jpg, Views: 36, Size: 39.07 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 026.jpg, Views: 35, Size: 49.65 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 027.jpg, Views: 39, Size: 40.79 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 117.jpg, Views: 44, Size: 59.13 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 118.jpg, Views: 39, Size: 45.56 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 119.jpg, Views: 41, Size: 47.80 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 120.jpg, Views: 48, Size: 51.29 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 121.jpg, Views: 48, Size: 54.44 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 122.jpg, Views: 46, Size: 79.22 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 115.jpg, Views: 48, Size: 44.45 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 116.jpg, Views: 47, Size: 49.06 KB 

Peter V

rob41245

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know the answer to your problem. I do know that your work is magnificent. I attempted the same build and out of frustration and lack of ability gave up. I intend to try it again after I've gained some skill with my scroll saw and my band saw. 
I really admire your talent and you have inspired me to keep trying.
Thanks for sharing the photos.
rob
Garrymac

Reply with quote  #3 
I believe it is the weight shift from the trailer on the 4 tires on the back of the tractor. The SPAN from the second set of tires to the from is slightly off on the right side. I have built this 4 times. Your end result is fantastic. Great job. And in real life, don't you see those tractors sort of rock back and forth when they first start going?? You just added a bit o realism!

Reply with quote  #4 

Hello luitjes,

thanks for the compliments. 

* Rob 41245: what are the items / difficutlties which you encounter on the build?  I myself  am absolute no wizard with scrollsaw. I started with a (very) cheap one, never got a "straitght" cut, bought me an other, now I am considering a Hegner. What I learned in the meantime, is nearly not to push the material when using the scrollsaw but still I have to finish the sawn object most every time. That is why I consider a Hegner.

If you have questions, do ask them here, lots of knowledge and help available. (one of the advantages of a forum).

*Garrymac: You wrote: " The SPAN from the second set of tires to the from is slightly off on the right side".

I have some questions:

1. what is 'SPAN" (I don't know the meaning of that word, (neither is google translate)

2. second set of tires:
> the aft, middle (first or second one from the double ones, (started indicating from the rear)) or the front wheel?
> left or right

3. What to do as solution?

Peter V
Garrymac

Reply with quote  #5 
SPAN. Its the DISTANCE. Your BUILD is done. When you first made your HOLES for the axles, that's where the hiccup accrued. If the plan set called for the holes to be drilled at .5 of an inch from the edge of the wood, I draw a line across the piece of wood and center punch the location of the hole. The wheel hole on the front right was slightly HIGH. When the weight of the trailer engaged it....it lifted. NOT A PROBLEM. Its is hand made. That's the Beauty of it!

Reply with quote  #6 
Morning Garrymac,

I used the drawing for exact location of the axle-holes, centerpunched those and then drilled them.

Can I fix the 'problem' of the right front wheel by filling up the axlehole, and then drill a new hole, just half a mm lower (to the underside of the tractor?).

Peter V
john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #7 
Filling and re-drilling will work if the drill bit is perfectly at a 90 degree angls with the surface of the wood block being drilled. There is another reason the wheels could be off and that is if the drill bit is at a slight angle instead of a 90 degree angle. Check your drill press table - drill bit relationship with a square to make sure that it is at a perfect 90 degree angle.

This sketch illustrates what happens if the drill bit angle is not at a true 90 degrees. axle alignment.jpg   

carvdah

Reply with quote  #8 
scrollsaw blade type[# of teeth per inch,  skip tooth, regular tooth, how they were ground, are all reasons you may have to sand. My normal blades are Olson PGT[precision ground]
skip tooth, crown tooth, or reverse tooth, depends on wood hardness. Very minimal sanding needed, if at all. Walnut, maple, poplar, oak all very smooth, when cut. good pine may need a little sanding on end grain. Wide range of teeth per inch are available, been using them for years.
really like your work!!
Garrymac

Reply with quote  #9 
Yes I also agree with JOHN. The drill bit must be 90 degrees. Also you have to make sure your piece of wood is at 90 and does not wiggle when being drilled. Lesson learned on this build. Make another one!

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob41245
I don't know the answer to your problem. I do know that your work is magnificent. I attempted the same build and out of frustration and lack of ability gave up. I intend to try it again after I've gained some skill with my scroll saw and my band saw. 
rob

Hi there.
I too felt frustration when I first started making these plans 2 years ago as I was new to this hobby but I would urge you to continue and that will in turn give you more experience. I think these plans are brilliant as the shapes are all printed out and I have only got budget tools,compared to some people's setups, to use but the secret, I have realised,is in the finishing with the sanding and varnishing etc.
I have made 2 of these Peterbilts when I first started but after the free Mercedes Truck plan which I don't know if you have made one of them yet but it's a great plan to start with......
I also love to customise and adapt the plans by adding bits or printing them in different sizes.
This forum and it's great members will help you with any hiccups and the comments received, from John and the members, really do inspire me to do more...
So all the best
Please post your work as we would all love to see how you are doing
Dave...

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 13, Size: 381.06 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 13, Size: 430.05 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 14, Size: 460.64 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 14, Size: 411.03 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 13, Size: 494.99 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 12, Size: 427.90 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 10, Size: 412.62 KB 

Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi there
Fantastic work. I too have made this model, well 2 of them, but only the Cab/tractor and not the back end lol.
Brilliant and very inspiring.
Dave
rob41245

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks so much for sharing your work. I doubt if I'll ever reach your caliber but i really appreciate the encouraging .
I'm working on one of the real wood projects that has a minimal of angled cutting and I'm right at home with simple straightforward  cutting.

thanks again
Rob
Peter V

Reply with quote  #13 
Frogbucket and others:
you are aware of the great variaty of this Mercedes?

https://nl.pinterest.com/michel_bourbeau/camion-jouet/?utm_campaign=rdboards&e_t=275e4d23610f42d3a01045c4ad11bd37&utm_content=829084681340403142&utm_source=31&utm_term=1&utm_medium=2004

Peter V
rob41245

Reply with quote  #14 
Thanks .. I had no idea there were so many variations.
Rob
mad irish man

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob41245
rob
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us