Author   Comment  
Wombat

Reply with quote  #1 
I was enthused by this set of plans when it was at the feedback stage, and promptly bought the set upon release.
Having a new grandson to make them for helped a bit of course. Mind you he isn't even one year old yet, so I think these will have to go into storage for him for a few years.
Having just completed the Ford Hotrod set, I decided to continue with the theme of simple toys cut from two laminations of 19mm pine, so this set  kind of jumped the queue a bit.
The disc hubcaps were a stumbling block until my good friend Ian at Wooden Bits & Bobs volunteered to piggy-back a bag for me on his next restocking order, so I was set!
I was intending to use artist's watercolours on these, but the yellow was just so wishy-washy even after quite a few coats, I succumbed and bought some rattle cans. Yep, sprayed in my outdoor spray booth ( the one with the variable direction exhaust fan) in summer,  .. again!  I can assure you all, it is impossible to find the tiny moulded nozzle insert in the grass when the can goes ...  ssshhhSPUT .... and the paint splatters out of the hole in the press-button. 

Not trusting glue to bond the painted parts for the long term, I masked off glue patches. ( smaller areas would have been easier to simply scrape paint off later )
My tribulations with the Chrome paint for the hubcaps, grille and bumpers has been covered in a separate post.

As always, I strayed from the plans a little, adding orange hazard lights to the tops of each toy, and anti-rolloff bumps on the trailer bed. ( easily made from the offcut from the trailer gooseneck block).    
I have also yet to see a bobcat with a steering wheel, so instead I gave it two control levers for added realism. ( 4mm dowel, drilled from underneath then short flush plug underneath )

I did pick up on a minor design oversight. The tipper bed has to be radiussed at the pivot end, otherwise the tipper..won't.

It bothered me that there was not much functional difference between the Bobcat loader and the Power Shovel ( both front-end loaders for the Tipper ) so I made the backhoe bucket from the CAT Backhoe Loader plans and fitted that instead to the Power Shovel, creating a Wheeled Excavator unit.

I wanted to pack the set in a presentation box I had, but the layout demanded yet one more item to balance it out.  What road construction crew doesn't have a road roller?  So with a minor adaption of the Bobcat nose profile and a couple of bits of 20x8mm for the front roller arms, four wheels glued together....it sort of made itself!

As always, I have had a lot of fun building this plan set.  
After I do some of the many other plans I have, I will come back to this one and make some of the items for the next fete.

20200206_153304.jpg  20200210_140626.jpg  20200210_114608.jpg  20200216_100248.jpg  P1080688.jpg P1080693.jpg P1080694.jpg  P1080697.jpg  P1080700.jpg  P1080704.jpg  P1080710.jpg  P1080689.jpg  P1080714.jpg  P1080716.jpg  P1080721.jpg  P1080705.jpg  P1080707.jpg  P1080708.jpg  P1080723.jpg  P1080724.jpg

jlcrafter

Reply with quote  #2 
You are a Master Toymaker. These are just fantastic. Every detail is so well thought out and executed. And thanks for the finely written story on your experience.
Peter V

Reply with quote  #3 

Wombat,

wonderful indeed. Your grandson will love it. 

Reply with quote  #4 

Really beautiful! You’re grandson is a lucky kid. 

Miriam

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #5 
These wood construction toys are perfectly crafted and absolutely stunning. Thank you so much for sharing. You made my day and inspired me to get up and head for the workshop!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.