You can easily make our wood toys with
these plans and common tools & supplies.
toymakingplans.com
View Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All 

ToymakingPlans.com Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News 

About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum 

for Wood Toy Toymakers View 

Cart
ToymakingPlans.com Bargain Basement $3 Wood Toy Plans (Reg. $4.95-$19.95)! Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive 5 Free Play Pals Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with ToymakingPlans.com and Receive Free Freightliner Semi Truck Wood Toy Plan Set Sign Up with 

ToymakingPlans.com and Receive the Free Famous Mercedes Lorry Truck Wood Toy Plan Set
Tips for downloading & 

using PDF plans
Shop All Full-Size Wood Toy Plans
TOY PLANS CATEGORIES:

All Major Credit Cards 

Accepted
Paypal Account
NOT REQUIRED

For Credit Card Orders

ToymakingPlans.com Guarantee

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #1 
Started on the Peterbilt tractor. My first effort from a plan and I can't believe how much easier it is using John's plans.

This is the tractor after two coats of BIN white primer.thanks for the advice BadBob, it covers great.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190605_132532182.jpg, Views: 17, Size: 143.72 KB 

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is looking mighty fine. We are anxious to see it in a step-by-step photo story in this post!
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #3 
First plastikote buttercup yellow acrylic enamel coating.l love the colour.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190605_190818336.jpg, Views: 11, Size: 93.06 KB 

Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #4 
Just the wheels, steering wheel and doors to go.

It was fiddly painting the fenders, should I have used masking tape? Good job I've got steady hands.

All paintwork is brushed acrylic enamels.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190605_204619821.jpg, Views: 17, Size: 181.29 KB 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
White primer is just what you need for that yellow paint.
Pinterest
Google+
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Looking good! Thanks for the step-by-steps. 
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #7 
Think I'll add the doors as the body is made of pine just to strengthen the cab roof.

Made the trailor yesterday, pics to follow. I used small washers between the wheels and the body to stop rubbing. The truck rolls nicely without snagging.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190609_063106039.jpg, Views: 17, Size: 303.92 KB 

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
I love it! Just woke up and checked my email. This inspires me to get out of bed and head to the shop!
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #9 
This is the bobcat body, cut using my bandsaw, I still need to practice with the scroll saw.

It's waiting for a primer coat.
In the UK construction vehicles are commonly painted bright orange, that's what I intend to do.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190613_084118932.jpg, Views: 4, Size: 190.12 KB 

Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #10 
Completed tractor and trailer.

My learnings from this build, :- Sand, then sand again.
Don't rush, be patient. Make all pieces and do a dry build.

Most of all, enjoy yourself, I did.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190613_110229726.jpg, Views: 16, Size: 208.66 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190613_110240667.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 255.41 KB 

john lewman

Owner ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for making my morning! The photos really compliment your work. We are all anxiously waiting to see the finished little masterpieces together.
Grandpa Bear

Reply with quote  #12 
Finished the bobcat, came out pretty good I think.

Painted it orange as that's what a great deal of construction machinery is in the UK.

As a newbie toy maker I must say that John and Cynthia's plans are very easy to follow.

Power shovel is next on the build list, Nick

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190615_043830849_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 159.45 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190615_043758539.jpg, Views: 14, Size: 215.99 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190615_043739567.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 253.98 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG_20190615_043714880.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 260.61 KB 

kensmith

Reply with quote  #13 
Awesome job Grandpa Bear! 
Garrymac

Reply with quote  #14 
Great looking build! I am looking forward to doing this BUILD! If you SELL them, the KIDS will love the colors! Again, very well done!

Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks to all who have commented on this build.

I have surprised myself how these have turned out. Last time I did any serious wood working was at school about 35 years ago, I guess you just don't forget it?

Lessons from this build:-

Bucket looks too harsh painted black, (I know I tried it, silver looks better I think),
Made my own slab wheels on a drill press using a hole saw from pine.

By the way all of both builds was made of construction pine 2 x 4 inch.

Primed twice with white shellac based primer sanded to 300 grit then 3 coats of Orange humbrol acrylic gloss sanded between with 400 grand wet and dry used dry.

Love the look of Ken Martins photos, mine are nowhere near as good. Will have to get out my SLR for the next ones.

regarsd from the UK, Grandpa Bear (Nick)

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: bobcat 1.jpg, Views: 3, Size: 276.54 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: bobcat 2.jpg, Views: 2, Size: 279.23 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: bobcat 3.jpg, Views: 1, Size: 281.92 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Noah's Animal Cracker Ark Wood Toy Plan Set
ToymakingPlans.com Homepage Shop All Wood Toy Plans ToymakingPlans.com How-To Videos News About and For Toymakers Around The World PDF Downloadable Toy Plans Frequently Asked Questions ToymakingPlans.com Forum for Wood Toy Toymakers Contact Us
  how to download toy plans royalty free policy toy safety privacy policy about us