Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #16 
I will have to order some of the decal paper from the train site Ken recommended. It looks ot be easier to use than the Micromark paper. I remember putting decals on the plastic models I built as a kid, they really make the difference on some of them.
Steve Currier
Wholesaletoys

Reply with quote  #17 
Very nice.I really like this.Great job,photos are lovely.
Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #18 
I just found this and have been thinking of doing one of these trucks....I thought, hmm I wonder if I could sell them to local courier/trucking companies as give a ways or as promo items? Then I wake up this morning and find the master is on the same page!

Yeah, Avery has tons of different sizes and shapes and has software templates for each.

One thing though: maybe inkjets have improved by I remember doing labels years ago and had them fade in no time......How old are the ones in your pics?

I was also thinking about trailers. What to use to give it the realistic feel of an aluminum trailer....thought of the paint, but that doesn't have the corrugated look that I was thinking off. Even thinking of what I could use on the corners to make them rounded and look like shiny chrome.....when I moved my shop I threw them out but I had TONS of offcuts of brushed aluminum and riveted laminate.....I mean maybe 30 pieces 12" x 24" which would have been perfect for this.....(don't you always need something right after you throw it out? LOL :-(

Great job Udie.......that's a cool looking trailer.... 
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #19 
Muskokamike

You might look at a good hobby store that balsa woods for HO model building.  They make it detailed to look like siding, maybe there would be one that would work for the side of a truck trailer, then just paint it silver or white.

Another idea, might be to go to a big hobby story and look in there paper sheet section.  They might have a paper that would look like siding.

Just some different ideas.

Muskokamike

Reply with quote  #20 
Yeah, where I live it is a hobby desert....there is ONE within 250 kms and it is pitiful to say the least...it is so bad I even considered opening one here but getting into retail in this market is iffy....Lots of stores on main street have closed. My town is very tourist oriented and a bad summer (like we had last year) can kill you. We only had 6 days over 25 C and only 2 or 3 over 30.

I know one store owner who said on a long weekend they were normally packed and did $3000.00 worth of business.....that weekend? they were lucky if they broke $800.00....and (not to complain lol) but the building owners charge a FORTUNE for rent. The mayor and city council have tried talking to them but nope....still want their king's ransom whether their store front is empty or not.

I'll probably end up doing a smooth sided one like Udie's......I just downloaded the free play pals (didn't have to pay with pay pal for the play pals! say THAT 3 times fast haha) and am going to make a flat bed AND an enclosed trailer. Have to get some inventory (quick and easy) for my sale in 2 weeks....I scaled them up 25% since I have some material that will be perfect for them. (left over Baltic birch ply). I ordered some wheels from workshop supply at 7 cents each....how can you go wrong at that price? lol....funny thing, the axles are 11 cents!

I figure I'll tackle these simple trucks before going after a 4 footer! haha.....
glenb

Reply with quote  #21 
Very nice work and excellent finishing. I have two quick questions to ask;

I am putting together the trucks, and although try to follow the instructions I find at times I can't seem to make sense out of some steps. I notice the trailer doors in your work are made from (it looks like) 1/4" material. The instructions state using 1/8, but I could not figure out how to drill a 1/8" hole into a 1/8" piece of wood for a 1/8" dowel. Is this the reason for going to a larger door?

I am hesitant to use MDF as I have difficulty painting (cut edges) and finishing. Is there something specific you do to attain the great results you get?

Thanks, and again great job on all the trucks and accessions.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #22 
This post is several years old. I haven't seen Udie on the forum in a long time.

It would help if you sealed MDF before painting it. I use shellac. Apply the shellac and sand lightly by hand until smooth, Apply a second coat of shellac and sand again. Repeat until it feels smooth to the touch.

Note that shellac has a low melting point and will gum up sandpaper quickly, especially if you get aggressive or use a power sander. Steel wool or abrasive pads may be a better choice.

I modify just about every toy plan to suit my needs, materials, and tools.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

glenb

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
This post is several years old. I haven't seen Udie on the forum in a long time.

It would help if you sealed MDF before painting it. I use shellac. Apply the shellac and sand lightly by hand until smooth, Apply a second coat of shellac and sand again. Repeat until it feels smooth to the touch.

Note that shellac has a low melting point and will gum up sandpaper quickly, especially if you get aggressive or use a power sander. Steel wool or abrasive pads may be a better choice.

I modify just about every toy plan to suit my needs, materials, and tools.

Did not even think to look at the post date! Appreciate your help with the MDF. Thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.