Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Udie

Reply with quote  #1 
Peterbilt Truck Stop Project - Udie's Progress

I have started the Peterbuilt Truck Stop project and thought I would post it's build progress.
This project can easily be built using solid lumber for the main components or glue up various thicknesses of 1/2" and 3/4" MDF to meet the lengths and widths required. I have elected to demonstrate the glued up progress. Below is a photo of the glued up main components.

Small World Peterbilt Truck Stop
IMG_5289 A.jpg 
I will be building all three (3) truck cab types offered by the plan set. All the build components were cut at the same time, bagged and tagged and stored in a zip lock project bag. This makes life much easier when looking for components which require painting only or additional work to be done before the painting step. Here is a photo of the majority of components bagged and tagged to date.

IMG_5309 A.jpg 
Some component quantities were increased and spares were added. These usually are components where I will be requiring a jig to make the components and required these extra parts to tool proof my jig and method of repeatable manufacturing. You will notice there are a couple of components where nails have been hot melt glued to. This is my preferred method of making a handle for easy hand brushing on the sealer, paint and final top coat.

Here is photo of where I am at today.

IMG_5318 A.jpg 
Notice that the window opening detail in the door is a little different than the plan set. I found using a sharp X-Acto blade much easier to cut these out as to using the scroll saw. Similarly the window detail in the sleeper door was also cut in a different way. I did paint the edges of the front windows and the sleeper window silver, just to give it a look of chrome trim around them and yes, the sleeper window needs a little black touch up to hide that little speck of silver.

In the next photo I have added the wind deflector. This component has not been glued on but only positioned in place for the photo.

IMG_5319 A.jpg 
The paints I used so far are red metallic paint, black craft paint and a silver metallic paint.
The wheels have been sealed with a craft sealer, painted with craft black and two (2) coats of craft gloss varnish.

When this project is completed I will be posting an instructional PDF of the entire project and all the little tricks and tips on how I manufactured the various components and the materials used.

I will tell you this right now - using the universal sanding block was a real time saver.
Here is the link to how I made this Universal Sanding Block - Universal Sanding Block.

2 Paper and Block.jpg 
Hope you enjoyed my efforts so far on the project.

phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #2 
Udie.
          Good work so far keep um coming. [thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
This looks great and I want to get started on one now but, it is further down the list.  I see on the truck that the base is all painted.  Maybe you have it taped, my question is the step area that goes below the door.  You do have the steps on nails but is the corresponding area on the truck taped?   I really like how you do the step by step and how you give helpful hints for "mass" production.  Thanks
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Ctowne (Cindy) - The steps on the nails is my handle for painting. Once the painting is completed they are removed and any hot melt glue that sticks to the wood is scrapped off also. Yes - you can mask the base prior to painting to have exposed wood to glue to is one method. In this case I did paint the entire base and when it came time to attach the steps I scraped the painted area where the steps were to be mounted and also using the X-Acto knife scored a cross hatch pattern into the area to give the glue something to bite into. The back of the steps were unpainted for better adhesion.
Here's another tip - when painting the steps make sure you paint all the edges of item 17, the bottom step, because that surface is seen when the vehicle is tipped over.

IMG_5321 A.jpg 
Also - you can see,  I have rounded over the front and rear edges of the front wheel axle block and have done the same to the rear wheel axle block also. I just like the look and it acts like a skid plate when you run over something.

sjc5454

Reply with quote  #5 
I am looking forward to your step-by-step as I plan to give this to my younger brother who is still trucking. I am thinking of trying to make one of the trucks into the new Kenworth T-680, because that is what he owns and drives. I think he will enjoy having a model to set on his desk or on the dash of his truck.
Udie

Reply with quote  #6 
Peterbilt Truck - Phase 2
This week I added the exhaust stacks and the gas tanks.

IMG_5400 A.jpg 
Once again to make my life a little easier, a couple of jigs were made in preparation of requiring to repeat this build many times in the future.
First I made a little universal jig that will allow me to drill the holes in the main exhaust stack repeatedly in the center of the dowel.

IMG_5340 A.jpg

IMG_5344 A.jpg

This little jig has multiple uses which will be demonstrated in the final PDF.

Next, I required a little jig that will assist me in accurately cutting the gas tank dowel on the table saw. This jig can also be used with the band saw, scroll saw and even a sanding disc station. The photo below is showing the jig and dowel entering the table saw blade from the back of the table saw.

IMG_5367 A.jpg 
The dowel will not rotate when cutting due to the snug fit.

Then I made a little jig which will allow me to drill the 50° hole for the gas tank filler tube.

IMG_5386 A.jpg 
OK - that's it for now - I've got to get back to the workshop and make some fenders, headlights and windshield sun blocker.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #7 
Good ideas on how to get things done.
Thanks for sharing.
Will be watching to see how this project finishes up.
So far so good.

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
Imants,
This is genius stuff and extremely helpful. I am looking forward to seeing the next post!
Dolf Joubert

Reply with quote  #9 
Udie,
   Thanks for sharing the jigs that you are using. I have learnt that jigs are valuable tools in making toys and getting rid of mistakes and reworking of components.
Regards
Dolf
sjc5454

Reply with quote  #10 
Udie, when you make the pdf, please be sure to include the jigs that you used to make the truck. Or you could make another pdf that covers just the jigs, they look like they could come in handy for many projects. Truck is looking great.
Steve Currier

Steve - Yes I will demonstrate all the little jigs in the PDF or as you suggested make a separate PDF on them alone - good idea - thanks - Udie

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Currierwoodworks

Udie

Reply with quote  #11 
Peterbilt Truck - Phase 3
This phase discusses only one component, the windshield sun shade.
(And I did add some bands on the gas tank using fingernail pin stripes.)
 IMG_5467 A.jpg

This sun shield looks like a difficult component to make ... but it is really easy to make.

Cut the stock materials to size and because of the equipment I will be making them with I needed to add a handle.  A piece of scrap 1/4" hardboard and some hot melt glue is all that is needed. I also used double sided tape and was able to achieve the same results.

IMG_5416 A.jpg

The plans specify an angle of 32° but I used 31.6° only because my chop saw has a pre-set indent for that angle. I do not believe this small change will affect the outcome.

IMG_5437 A.jpg

Here are my results after sanding the angle using the angle jig and the sanding disk station.

IMG_5427 B.jpg

Then I made a little jig to cut the 75° which is the same as 15°. You can see here this was easily done using double sided tape and the handle.

IMG_5441 A.jpg 

Now let us look at the plans and the results. After I made the component I cut off a small piece so I could photograph my results against the plan set. Looks good to me - what do you think? The 31.6° angle does not look that bad - not bad for an old guy!

IMG_5452 A.jpg 
Next phase will using the same method and a set of different jigs to make the headlights due to their angles. Due to the small size of this component the process will also require a handle to be added to the stock material allowing perfect control while sanding.

OK - got to go back to the workshop.

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #12 
Good Post Udie
I like the way you did this.
Also the fingernail pin strips to the gas tank.  That looks good.
Now that you have all this figured out, how many of these are you going to make?

Ken - Glad you liked how I manufactured this component - pretty simple way to do it. Next time I do the pin strips on the gas tank, I will do it before I glue the tank to the chassis, it will be a lot easier doing it that way. How many will I build, not sure yet, but it could be dozens. Udie

Udie

Reply with quote  #13 
Peterbilt Truck - Phase 4

This phase will demonstrate the fabrication of the head lights.
Here they are on the paint drying rack.

IMG_5490 A.jpg 
These were fabricated using the same technique I used in fabricating the windshield sun shade in Phase 3. A couple of simple angle jigs, a handle and the disk sander were used.
Below is a photo of the wood stock I used - this time I elected to use Poplar.

IMG_5471 A.jpg 
Rather than cut the pieces to the final length and then sand them. I found it a lot easier to make the pieces 2 to 3 times the components length, it is a lot easier to sand a larger part than small one. It allows you to quickly see which side needs more sanding to match the profile. I will cut to size after the angles have been made.

The first angle jig used was the 45°.

IMG_5472 A.jpg 
My method, again, was to use double sided tape and attach the stock wood to a handle and sand a little at a time. I would check the profile to the paper pattern and sand a little more until I reached the profile.

Once the profile was achieved I changed over to the 34° jig, which is really 56° when rotated.

IMG_5482 A.jpg 
I found that sanding a little off at a time and checking the results against the paper pattern was the best method for me.

My preference is to use a Hobby Mitre box and a razor tooth saw when cutting small parts to size.

IMG_5486 A.jpg 
Let us look at my results when compared to the paper pattern.

IMG_5484 A.jpg 
The profile looks pretty good - unfortunately when cutting such a thin piece the point broke off.
It did not happen when I cut the real head lights to size.

Next step - make the fenders, as you can see from the first photo they have been made and painted and on the drying rack. I will demonstrate the mounting of the head lights and fender in the next section.

Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #14 
Udie

The photos and jigs should help many of us build this set.
Thanks for sharing.
Good job explaining and showing what you did with photos.

Udie

Reply with quote  #15 
Peterbilt Truck - Phase 5
(... and a sneak peek at the finished truck)

Once again, a little jig was required for mounting the headlights.

IMG_5497 A.jpg 
I required a third (3rd) hand when gluing on the headlights. Something to help me position the headlights in place as the glue cured. Using a couple of stir sticks, cut to size, worked perfect for the spacing from the front of the bumper and holding it in place only required the use of a simple spring clamp. These spring clamps were purchased from the garden center. I did post a topic on these and here is the link ... Spring Clamps (From the Garden Center). Many times when I am assembling a project I find it so helpful to use all kinds of simple clamps as a third (3rd) hand. They make assembling so much easier.

Here are the headlights mounted in position with a little help of green painters tape.

IMG_5501 A.jpg   

After I glued the headlights in place it was time to position and glue on the fenders.

IMG_5505 A.jpg 
Now, let us talk about the fenders.
Here they are, cut to the profile and after a little sanding will be ready for sealing, painting and a top coat.

IMG_5407 A.jpg 

I have a special way of making fenders and size matched wheels at the same time.
Here is photo of my raw materials and the results.

IMG_5406 A.jpg 
Now, the tool I used to make the fenders was purposely left out of this photo. I guess you will just have to wait and read the final project PDF to find out what I used. My plan is to also do a photo PDF/Text with an accompanying video on the use of this tool and method.

Other items were added to the Canadian made Peterbilt Truck and here is a sneak peek (as promised) of the competed assembly.

IMG_5508 A.jpg 
Again, the wind deflector was positioned in place only for this photo, it was not glued on ... it is for another assembly.

This project was a lot of fun to build, and yes ..., I needed a couple of jigs to make a couple of the components, with repeatable results,  but that does not mean you will need them.

Hope you enjoyed this little Forum post snapshot on the building of the Peterbilt Truck.
Looking forward to seeing your work in progress, your tips and tricks and final assembly.

Please follow the attached link to view a group of photos of the completed assembly.
"Peterbilt Truck - Udie's Completed Truck Photos".

Happy Toy Making the Peterbilt Truck
Imants Udris (Udie)
<<<<<     >>>>>

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.