Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
My grandson call these Old Timey Cars. A lot of effort went into these. Broken parts, warped and crooked wheels, parts the didn't fit, etc. Holes redrilled for 1/4-inch dowels that were not 1/4-inch. Redrilling holes is always a challenge on painted pieces. Axle pegs that were supposed to be all the same size were not. Some were tapered causing me to think they fit only to find out that they didn't after inserting them with glue. Fortunately, none of them got stuck.  Much repainting, but they are finally coming together.  

They will be in the Etsy Shop soon I hope.

20181209_133254 Handmade Wooden Toy Car Bad Bob's Custom Motors Pink W.jpg 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is really dandy and well done. We would love to see a couple of more views of the build, perhaps a rear view and straight on side view added to the post if you have the time. I am sorry to hear that your purchased parts weren't to specifications. I buy my parts from craftparts.com and the quality has been consistently top grade. 
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
The wheels and axle pegs are from craftparts.com. A lot of the wheels also have glue spots on them. Glue spots are not a big deal if you are going to pain them but, I like to use shellac on my wheels. Shellac makes the glue spots look like white blotches.

My grandson loves these cars. He gets at least one of everything I make and all the test toys. He has translated one of each into one of each color. He says he is giving this one to his best friend for Christmas.

Here is the best side view I have.

20181209_133430 handmade Wooden Toy Car Bad Bob's Custom Motors Sedan .jpg 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

GGPA

Reply with quote  #4 
42417361_10155413151071595_8072623781404737536_n.jpg  Well done..

Reply with quote  #5 
Hello BadBob,
Thanks for this post and the recent one about White Shellac primer.
Without the great pictures of the paints you used, I would not have been able to track down a local supplier here in Oz.

While I have preferred to tackle the more complex many-part toys, the glorious finish and beautiful colours on these little cartoon style cars has encouraged me to have a go myself.
It might be nice to see a result a bit sooner, and I guess the kids don't care how complex the build was as long as it looks as good as these do.

Also, your "warts and all" story of their build serves to highlight that crap happens to us all, not just beginners.
Posts like " I just knocked up a batch of 50 of these today, and they are all picture-perfect"  only serve to have the less experienced amongst us muttering darkly, as we embark upon another bout of rectification.

I too use Craftparts wheels, through a local distributor, who weeds out the less-than-perfects before shipping to us.  ( I have seen his little box of duds )
I have yet to use the spoked wheels, but thanks to your feedback I will be especially vigilant when buying them.

Regards,
Alan
BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat
Also, your "warts and all" story of their build serves to highlight that crap happens to us all, not just beginners.
Posts like " I just knocked up a batch of 50 of these today, and they are all picture-perfect"  only serve to have the less experienced amongst us muttering darkly, as we embark upon another bout of rectification.

I've got lots of warts.

I could not make 50 Play Pal VW Bugs in a day that I would sell. DOn't let these little cars fool you. They are more difficult than they appear. I recommend you stack cut your fenders in pairs. I keep mine stuck together until I'm done sanding them so the match. They will have the same warts on both sides. 

If I make more of the of these, I will use hardwood.  I broke a lot of pine fenders. The way the grain runs through the fenders, they were very easy to break. Once they glued on, they are they are strong. Until then I need to be very careful.

Painting is very time consuming. I believe that is why not many people paint their toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat

I too use Craftparts wheels, through a local distributor, who weeds out the less-than-perfects before shipping to us.  ( I have seen his little box of duds )
I have yet to use the spoked wheels, but thanks to your feedback I will be especially vigilant when buying them.

Regards,
Alan

I should have pointed out that the axle pegs I got with these wheels are smaller than the holes in the wheel hubs. They spin on the wheel hubs. The large holes cause them to wobble. The only thing that keeps them anywhere close to running true is the back of the wheel running against the body or in my case the nylon washer.

I will not use any more of these wheels. They cost too much and have many issues.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, sometimes. I was headed out to the garage to write down all the paint info when the light bulb went on. Glad it helped you out.

Do a test piece and see how it works with your paint. Sand between coats even the paint. I have seen some bonding issues.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
They are done. My grandson has already confiscated two of them. 

20181211_203651 Handmade Wooden Cars Bad Bob's Custom Motors Group.jpg

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.