Author   Comment  
Rsorensen

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, what do most people use after resawing to get a flat peace of wood.                                 Thanks Richard          
BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
My resawing is mostly small pieces, and my band saw cuts very straight, so I use sandpaper. A belt sander is what I usually use unless the part is tiny. Many times I have cut the part from thicker stock and resaw the cut part to the thickness I need. I tried this one time and found it much easier and there was less waste. I don't stack cut small pieces from then wood. I cut the part from thick stock and resaw the stock.

Resawing a fender.
2018-02-11 15.37.43 Handmade Wooden Toys Resawing A Fenderr On A Bands.jpg 

Cometoz

Reply with quote  #3 
If I'm re-sawing from a piece of bulk timber - I generally run it through the thicknesser and then the drum sander
Rsorensen

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of resawing after the part is made but my band saw does not cut that straight. I also only have room for one or the other. Thanks again, Richard
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
One or the other is a tough choice. I think the choice would depend on what you are making and what you are making.

If I were only making puzzles, a drum sander that was easy to change paper on would be my choice.

If all your material is rough lumber then a planner is the obvious choice.

If you are using what I think of as finished lumber then it is going to depend more on what you are making or how large the pieces are. Toy parts can easily be smoothed with hand held tools or even hand powered tools.

In the end you have to pick the one that will work best for your situation.

Tony

Reply with quote  #6 
Instead of instead of using the band saw I use a thin kerf 7 1/4” blade on my table saw. Little waste and a straight cut. Just my two cents.

Reply with quote  #7 
I have both a thickness planner and drum sander.  I find myself using the drum dander 99% of the time.  If I have to take off more material I just use a 60 grit belt.  I can sand some thing down to thousands of an inch with the sander which I can not do with the planner.  Also no chip out.  The only problem is with cherry or other woods like that with burning.  But I have learned to just go slower with certain woods.  I have the SuperMax and it is the best.
Rsorensen

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for all the feed back. Question about the drum sander, will it square up a piece that is tapered or has a bow? Thanks Again, Richard
lcb914

Reply with quote  #9 
Yes it will flatten a tapered piece.  Must start on the thickest end and work down until it is what you want. Also I have flatten all kinds of bowed and even twisted lumber using wedges or tape to level it.  Only works on shorter stock.  Always put the concave side down and when it is flat then flip it over.  You must take thin cuts.   I do most 1/64 at a time unless it is not very wide.       Good luck...........

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.