Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
I could have used more but my grandson has some that he plays with. I think his grand mother hid them.

2020-03-25 17.27.23 Hand Made Wooden Toys  Toymaers Shop Play Pal Axel.jpg 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

BadBob

Reply with quote  #2 
This is how I did it before. These are paired by color because the axles are different lengths hand fitted to the body width. The bodies are all made from different pieces of wood.

2019-05-12 15.46.31.Toymakers Shop Handmade Woodne Toy Trucks Axles Dr.jpg 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Peter V

Reply with quote  #3 

Hello BadBob,

I do have an indescent question, can ´we´ (myself and all the others here) have a tour around your workshop? If it isnt to much trouble?

I am quite curious about it. 

Why do you pair the axles with the cars? Aren´t your axles all the same size, so same hole in the carbody, so - automatic-  all have a good fit?  

Peter V
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #4 
Love the photos. Your shop is looking like a pro toy factory.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V

Why do you pair the axles with the cars? Aren´t your axles all the same size, so same hole in the carbody, so - automatic-  all have a good fit?  

It would be easier if they were all the same size. However, a lot of these are made from leftover pieces. Most of my small toys are made from the leftovers from larger toys.

For example, I make puzzles. To make a good fitting puzzles you must start with a flat board. The larger the board the more critical it is to be flat. Flattening a 1x12 makes it thinner. How much thinner depends on how much wood I have to remove to make it flat. Some puzzles have lots of empty space around it. I fill in these areas with small items. Thus I have boxes full of Play Pal bodies, various animal cut outs, and any thing else I can come up with. If you pick out 10 items at random and measure the thickness I would not be surprised to see all of them be slightly different. The can vary as much as 1/8-inch. I'm a bit OCD about the fit and finish of my toys. I hate to see one where the axles are a bit to long or to short. So I hand fit them to the body.

I really don't have what I would call a workshop. I have garage that is packed with all sorts of stuff from yard and garden tools to motorcycles. I don't have as much power as I really need. Certainly not enough room to build any thing large like furniture. Most of the time it looks like a disaster area. A shop tour isn't likely to happen any time soon, but will try to remember to take more photos while I work and post them. I tend to get focused on what I am doing and completely for get the photos untill I amd quiting for the day.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Bodacious2

Reply with quote  #6 
What a great idea to paint the end of the axles. Thank you for sharing
eburres

Reply with quote  #7 
I love this idea. I like the board you have made to hold the clamps upright for the drying process. While I don't do anywhere near that many at one time, I will certainly make something a bit scaled down based on what you have done here. Thanks for sharing.

BadBob

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburres
I love this idea. I like the board you have made to hold the clamps upright for the drying process. While I don't do anywhere near that many at one time, I will certainly make something a bit scaled down based on what you have done here. Thanks for sharing.

I have a lot of these boards with different size holes for various purposes—the one pictured above I made to hold headlights for my Bad Bobs Custom Motors Cars.

When I made the first one, I discovered that I needed to drill a lot of holes as close together as possible. If the holes are close together, it dramatically increases the versatility. Now I drill the holes 1/4-inch apart no matter what size they are.

MDF is much better than plywood. It's cheap and easier to drill than plywood, but it is probably 2-3 times the weight. The weight comes in handy when you are using it to hold more substantial items.

I find it's better to drill the holes all the way through and glue on a backer board. I like to use 1/8-inch hardboard for this.

Some examples:

20131201-203703 001 Toymakers Shop Parts Holding Jig Holding Wooden To.jpg  20131201-203835 004 Toymakers Shop Parts Holding Jig Holding Toy Wheel.jpg  20150906-141130 014 Toymakers Shop  Parts Holding Jig Holding Play Pal.jpg  20150913-150138 030 Toymakers Shop Parts Holding Jig Holding Play Pals.jpg  20150913-194800 032 Toymakers Shop Parts Holding Jig Holding Play Pals.jpg  20151210-175340 198 Toymakers Shop Parts Holding Jig Holding Hot Rod F.jpg  They are useful for other things. Here I am using the jig to hold a broken puzzle piece while it is being glued.
2016-03-28 192542 Toy Makers Shop Repairing Lobster Puzzle.jpg    2016-04-09 142030 Toy Makers Shop Pink Hot Rod Freaky Ford Body MDF Dr.jpg This one  Rotates. It is supposed to be a paint stand. I don't think it works well for that and it needs a lot more holes. Like many things you see that look good on paper but actually don't work very well.
2016-04-17 16.33.21 Toy Makers Shop Lazy Suzan Paint Stand.jpg  20161206_211724 Parts Holding Jig Lazy Suzan Hot Rod Freaky Fords Red .jpg  20161206_211735 Parts Holding Jig Hot Rod Freaky Fords Play Pals Large.jpg  20161218-154823 006 Toymakers Shop Parts Holding Jig Painted Axel Pegs.jpg  2017-04-19 213515 Toy Makers Shop Wooden Toy Axle Pegs Paint Jig Black.jpg  2017-07-11 214405 Toy Makers Shop Drying Rack Collection.jpg 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

eburres

Reply with quote  #9 
It's funny that you should post this response. When I saw the initial post it got me to thinking along the lines of what you've done. Which is very cool. Thanks for the more detailed follow up and the wonderful pictures. The hardboard backer is another good idea that I hadn't considered. It's great to learn something new, something that is a very useful idea and concept. This forum is terrific for that as well as to see what all you other very talented people turn out. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.