Connie

I’ve wanted to make these Play Pal Cars since I first saw them! They are so picking cute and I love the simplicity. I finally made four sets at Christmas time. I was pushed for time, so I left out the flatbed. Just getting around to posting pics now.

When I had a small scrap of plywood left over last fall, I took the opportunity to make the plywood templates based on recommendations here in the forum. Thanks all! It was a huge time saver.

When I was ready to make the Play Pal sets, it was so nice to trace the plywood templates directly onto the wood without adhesive. Drilling the axels and windows using the pilot holes worked perfectly. I had just cut the first set when the small wooden wheels arrived from http://www.craftparts.com. They are smaller than I imagined and, frankly, downright adorable!

The first set and tiny wheels were so cute sitting on my scroll saw table, I immediately switched to cutting axels, so I could dry fit the first set. OMG, I love them!

I spent that evening cutting the four sets from maple, poplar, walnut, and mahogany. The weekend was spent sanding the 16 cars by hand. Grand finale was Sunday evening finishing them with Cynthia’s Mineral Oil Bee’s Wax paste and gluing up the axels and wheels. Cynthia, I love this paste and use it whenever I can! 🥰

For gift wrapping, I went with slider top boxes with paracord handle and personalized label for each Play Pals set. We had some fun red and white crinkle paper for padding inside the boxes.

My original thought was to give each child a set in their own unique hardwood. But, Hubby had a fun idea to mix and match. So, each child got a set of four cars, each car in a different color hardwood!

Here’s how they turned out! Click image for larger version - Name: 6CB1F765-8A53-4EDA-8EF7-F97DFB9435FA.jpeg, Views: 63, Size: 472.88 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 41DA240B-F1EE-4DD7-BC3C-274470FA606F.jpeg, Views: 61, Size: 672.57 KB Click image for larger version - Name: DED047ED-6FC9-4633-A0EC-4569A72A5627.jpeg, Views: 59, Size: 644.76 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 74FAB0D3-3B36-4003-8FDD-21BAE1C1246E.jpeg, Views: 61, Size: 529.44 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 04D29009-F370-43B6-AAF4-31B3336A9546.jpeg, Views: 70, Size: 341.22 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 70E7D36F-C491-4968-AB6C-601DAA2B46A8.jpeg, Views: 73, Size: 395.77 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 2DB9B791-F0A0-4760-AE24-D9D04A7EF1AC.jpeg, Views: 73, Size: 491.34 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 80C6DCEB-8B37-4AEC-9AD8-8584E3D82DD1.jpeg, Views: 71, Size: 498.12 KB
Wombat
Nice work Connie.
 I like the idea of using four types of wood then mixing the sets.
Did you make the boxes too ?
The personalisation on the lids make a nice touch for a keepsake gift.
Alan
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well
john lewman
I am so thrilled to see your wonderful post this morning. You are a skilled toymaker, photographer and story teller. The slider boxes are genius. This is a timeless gift. Thank you so much for sharing!!
Connie
Wombat wrote:
Nice work Connie.
 I like the idea of using four types of wood then mixing the sets.
Did you make the boxes too ?
The personalisation on the lids make a nice touch for a keepsake gift.
Alan

Thanks, Wombat! Yes, I made the boxes, too. 😇 I dialed in my Slider Top Box design/technique a couple years ago. Now, I can just change the size for the occasion and add the parachord handle when the box seems too big to carry with one hand.

The clear labels from Avery do work nicely. I really like Avery’s online tool for designing, saving, and printing the labels on a home printer. I wanted to have a special wood brand made, but this is cheaper. LOL
Rod T
Nice Play Pals.

I like your idea of the nails in the templates.
Although I cut the windows out with the scroll saw, my templates have holes for a pencil to mark the axle holes.
I always go back and use a centre punch to mark the spot to drill.
I am going to copy your method for the axle holes. Takes 1 step out of production. 

Cheers
Rod T

Rosiejane
Very nice. I love the gift boxes.
Mike1949

Hi Everyone. I think this is my 1st post. I have seen various posts about making wheels and buying them. I am about to start making a whole load of Play Pals. I went to the woodcraft site to order 500 of the wheels I need, $20 I thought was very cheap but when I added in the delivery that was another $60+ (I am in the UK) just a tad expensive, so I had a look around at other suppliers and found the Bear Woods Supply Company. Their price for 500 of the same wheels was $35 but airmail delivery was only $19.58, close on $30 cheaper. The impression I've got is that Woodcraft do a great deal for America but for all the other International Toymakers here Bear Woods may be well worth considering.

BadBob
Bear Woods is a Canadian company which might explain the lower shipping costs.

Bear Woods Supply Company
6099 228 St, Langley City, BC V2Y 2L3, Canada

I usually buy for Craft Parts and would pay $8.95 to ship 500 wheels from Texas to Florida. I think that is a little expensive. However, I usually order enough stuff to get free shipping.

500 is not a lot of wheels. I will make 125 car or 27 trucks if you make them as I do with all 18 wheels.

2017-05-11 04.26.42 - Wooden Toy - Play Pal - Trailer - Truck - Bat Ca.jpg 
craigrozema
love the trailer mods Badbob  heres a couple ive tried in various levels of finishing trailermods.jpeg  
john lewman
Sweet work Craig and Bob.
Connie
Hi Craig and Bob,

Echo John’s feedback. Excellent Play Pal trailer truck mods! I had skipped the trailer trucks due to time. All your variations and creativity has inspired me! I may need to make a couple of these. 😁

- Connie
Connie
Mike1949 wrote:

Hi Everyone. I think this is my 1st post. I have seen various posts about making wheels and buying them. I am about to start making a whole load of Play Pals. I went to the woodcraft site to order 500 of the wheels I need, $20 I thought was very cheap but when I added in the delivery that was another $60+ (I am in the UK) just a tad expensive, so I had a look around at other suppliers and found the Bear Woods Supply Company. Their price for 500 of the same wheels was $35 but airmail delivery was only $19.58, close on $30 cheaper. The impression I've got is that Woodcraft do a great deal for America but for all the other International Toymakers here Bear Woods may be well worth considering.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip on Bear Woods.

Agree that the craftparts shipping seems expensive to me, too, as I’m making low volumes. I’m in US and checked Amazon to get free Prime shipping. However, the price for the wheels alone on Amazon was more than CraftPart’s product + shipping.

Lesson learned = Amazon shipping isn’t always “free”. Sometimes it is just baked into the product price. LOL

- Connie
Connie
Knocked this little guy out this evening. Thanks for inspiration, Bob and Craig. Click image for larger version - Name: 4F99DFAF-99E1-442A-8266-A3362AF095AC.jpeg, Views: 13, Size: 359.59 KB Click image for larger version - Name: E352DDD4-4008-41F7-97E2-88362A549501.jpeg, Views: 13, Size: 372.20 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 0BFBF6AF-BAD1-4BB2-BD53-E1236D6D2D86.jpeg, Views: 12, Size: 318.31 KB
BadBob
No shipping is free. It is always included in the price when they say it is free. When you buy wheels from a business, you pay for packing materials, wheels, shipping charges, storage, labor, and more. The only advantage you get as a buyer is that you don't need to calculate the real cost. I ship lots of packages and lose money on shipping every time. Still, I get people contacting me wanting to know if I will lower the shipping cost. 

john lewman
Tight workmanship and attention to detail always win the day. This is a peachy keen example!