Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
For such a small simple toy this little Monster truck was quite a challenge to make. I tried several methods for making these and always wound up doing a lot of sanding to get the results I wanted. What I haven't tried so far is pattern routing. This seems to be a perfect project for a pin router.

The finish is brushed amber shellac with a dab metallic craft paint to accent the hubs.

20161126-113402 - Toy Wood Monster Truck - Play Pal - Oak & Poplar - Hand Brushed Amber Shellac.jpg

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20161126-113532_-_Toy_Wood_Monster_Truck_-_Play_Pal_-_O...Amber_Shellac.jpg, Views: 17, Size: 416.07 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20161126-113610_-_Toy_Wood_Monster_Truck_-_Play_Pal_-_O...Amber_Shellac.jpg, Views: 16, Size: 484.09 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20161126-113710_-_Toy_Wood_Monster_Truck_-_Play_Pal_-_O...Amber_Shellac.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 400.85 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20161126-113736_-_Toy_Wood_Monster_Truck_-_Play_Pal_-_O...Amber_Shellac.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 447.88 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20161126-113804_-_Toy_Wood_Monster_Truck_-_Play_Pal_-_O...Amber_Shellac.jpg, Views: 16, Size: 414.98 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20161126-113843_-_Toy_Wood_Monster_Truck_-_Play_Pal_-_O...Amber_Shellac.jpg, Views: 13, Size: 461.89 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20161126-113916_-_Toy_Wood_Monster_Truck_-_Play_Pal_-_O...Amber_Shellac.jpg, Views: 12, Size: 408.13 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20161126-113957_-_Toy_Wood_Monster_Truck_-_Play_Pal_-_O...Amber_Shellac.jpg, Views: 13, Size: 426.36 KB 

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
This is so cool a wood toy truck and the workmanship is flawless.
Bucko

Reply with quote  #3 
Darn Good Bob, sure looks like one rough and tough rumble truck.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
I for got to mention that even though it may not be the fastest it has no trouble crushing hot wheels cars.[biggrin]

JTalbot

Reply with quote  #5 
I did something very similar to what you did.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: monstertruck_(2).jpg, Views: 22, Size: 45.89 KB 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #6 
I did this the first time because I have a box full of wheels this size and I'm always looking for something I can use them for. One day I decided to see what a 2x4 Play Pal looked like after some one here posted that they cut them out of 2x scrap.

I thought the little wheels looked ok on the bug but they looked odd on the truck. I started looking through my boxes of wheels and soon had a pair mounted.

My wife thought it was cool. My grandson loved them at first sight. Everyone who has seen them likes them.

And so it began. The Play Pal monster truck was born.

I have a few more in the queue.

20151008_130753(1).jpg 

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #7 
Looks great. Such a nice shiny finish.

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiejane
Looks great. Such a nice shiny finish.

The finish is several brushed on coats of Bulls Eye Amber Shellac. I'm still undecided about it. Its a bit tricky to brush on these little cars. Hard to get it even. I'm going to try spraying it soon and see how that works.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.