Author   Comment  
Brian Lambert

Reply with quote  #1 
Play Pal Cars 1.jpg Play Pals Cars 2.jpg Play Pals Cars 3.jpg Play Pals Cars 4.jpg Play Pals Cars 5.jpg 

Hey Everyone,
 I decided to use up some of my scrap walnut, cherry, oak, and poplar. I ended up making 40 total cars. I spray painted the poplar with Rust-Oleum gloss enamel which was a first for me since I usually like the toys to be natural hardwood. Not too bad for my first attempt. Friends came by today with their 3 and 9 year old boys and they played with the cars right away. Nothing broke and they asked if they could take some home. Which they did. I guess the build was a success.   

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
We have never seen finer workmanship on the PlayPals. The set is outstanding and the photography is super! You really have the finishes honed to perfection. We are really proud to have you as a member of the toymaking community and your work is a welcome inspiration to me tonight. It is what I needed at the end of this busy day.
ctowne

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice and really nice spray job for a first time.  These cars are the best for using up scraps.
ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
Brian,

Very nice. Did you power sand these or use a router on the edges (just curious)

paint job came out really well. I do however like the darker wood ones. It always amazes me how just sometimes a piece of wood can make all the difference in how a toy looks.

My grandson does not care at all for natural wood LOL he always wants me to paint them (and usually green) we have on going discussions about that (he is 5 going on 7 or 8 ) lol

thanks for sharing these ...[thumb]

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Ed,
I'm with you. I love the look of natural wood. You can't beat what mother nature gives you. The two boys that came by went right to the painted toys so I know what you mean about your grandson. Much to my dismay, I see a lot more painting in my future! I hand sanded all the edges. I like to use the router but these were so small I decided to go the old fashion way.  
phantom scroller

Reply with quote  #6 
Great work, that's the way to use the scrap.[thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
dastoymaker

Reply with quote  #7 
Brian,

You have been very busy. Those all look very nice.

Russ
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.