Author   Comment  
Skeeter84

Reply with quote  #1 
 I want to make some blocks and toys with plywood but don't know if it will be safe or toxic for babies or kids. I keep hearing that it is not safe to use plywood. Does anyone know if this is true or not? What if I paint them with acrylic paint and or seal them with a sealer or leave them natural will that protect kids or am I just being overly cautious.  
PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #2 
Splintering is the problem. Why use plywood unless have a bunch of it. I have made blocks multi sized out of bad 2x4’s. Especially if your HD has 70% off in culls !
cynthia lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Skeeter

We like to use "Premium Plywood" when building the toys. It's a solid core plywood.

The wood for any of our toy plans is available at Home Depot and Lowes in a variety of thicknesses and are referred to as solid core premium plywood. They are often called "premium project panels" in the stores. They come is a variety of thicknesses such as 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" etc. If you don't know where to find premium project panels when in the store, go to the customer service desk. They can help you find the panels in the store since they sometimes are hard to spot when walking the aisles.

Cynthia
BadBob

Reply with quote  #4 
I made blocks for my grandson from 2x4s. Cut them square and rectangles double length. Then sand thoroughly being sure to round the corners to at least 1/8 inch radius. You can make the radius with a router but I just make mine on the belt sander. You don't need to sand them really smooth. I just sanded out all the milling marks with 120 grit sand paper. No finish was added. He loves them. He also has some regular sized cubed toddler blocks they only get used for something to haul around in his trucks.

MDF makes great blocks.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

lweller

Reply with quote  #5 
I have used baltic birch plywood a few times, and found this product to be very clean of imperfections, easy to sand, and a pleasure to work with.  It comes in a variety of thickness, and is available at most woodworking stores, etc.

Reply with quote  #6 
Nothing wrong with ply as long as its good quality ply otherwise you'll spend your time filling voids.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
BadBob

Reply with quote  #7 
I've experimented with BC construction grade plywood and some of the better grades available at the big box stores. I seldom get satisfactory results.  There is the filling the voids thing that phantom scroller spoke of to deal with. Even filling small voids causes more work because the spot you filled will be smoother than the rest of the edge and it will look totally different after you paint it. 

Cheap plywood splinters and tears out easily. It's not smooth and requires more sanding. It delaminates. I have had toys literally come apart. 

All that being said I would highly recommend using the Baltic Birch plywood for your toys and skipping the cheap stuff. Sadly, I the closest place I can get Baltic Birch plywood is more than 200 miles from here. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Mike Holden

Reply with quote  #8 
I am a native Floridian as well... I know how hard it is to get some of the resources. I found just asking fellow woodworkers (like me) that do not mind helping others out. I can get anything you want (mostly) and have it shipped straight to your doorstep. Also you can buy Baltic Birch online in small pieces. Email me and I can give you some links if you would like. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.