Author   Comment  
BadBob

Reply with quote  #1 
John,

Any particular reason why you decided not to have painted versions in this plan.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi BadBob, you ask an important question. I didn't include the painted versions to keep our development costs low enough on this set of six so we could offer them at the low discount price as a group. Painted toys can more than double the development time.

Also, we used to sell our individual plans at $9.95 to $12.95 for each toy. We have found that is pricey for lots of folks. The groups of plans at a big discount has really helped retired toymakers trying to get started on limited funds.

Also, this style of toy is a favorite with toymakers who make large quantities of one toy for sale or charity. They look for the simplest and most popular finish for their purpose. But mainly, I was trying to make the plan set at a low retail cost and still be able to cover my expenses.

The business is just Cynthia and I and it is our only source of income. Some plan sets sell just a few over their lifetime, others sell enough to cover our cost of development and the costs involved with maintaining the email list, forum and website.
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks John, Just to be clear. I'm not complaining. I was curious when I opened the file and did not see colors. I like this.

I'm not a big fan of painting toys. I've been experimenting with it after seeing how my grandson goes first for the painted toys.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

FarsiderCarvings

Reply with quote  #4 

Bad Bob, I ordered my wheels and pegs from Amazon.com. The supplier was Woodpecker Supply. I don't know if you ordered yours or not. 

The supplier linked to the plans was charging the same for 12 of the truck wheels,1.5",  I got 50 wheels at that same price and of course the free shipping with prime. I'm a happy camper because I also got 50 of the 1" wheels which I had been making my own. A bag of 50 for 11.00, you can't beat that, lol. 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsiderCarvings

Bad Bob, I ordered my wheels and pegs from Amazon.com. The supplier was Woodpecker Supply. I don't know if you ordered yours or not. 

The supplier linked to the plans was charging the same for 12 of the truck wheels,1.5",  I got 50 wheels at that same price and of course the free shipping with prime. I'm a happy camper because I also got 50 of the 1" wheels which I had been making my own. A bag of 50 for 11.00, you can't beat that, lol. 

I'm not sure what wheels you are referring to. I did a little comparison shopping and did not find any wheels that were a better buy than craftparts.com this is especially true when purchased in quantity. When I buy from them I buy a lot of stuff usually enough to get free shipping. This can significantly lower your costs. Looking ahead at what yoiu are going to need for future projects. I buy all of my dowels from craftparts.com. The locally available dowels are expensive junk.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.