Author   Comment  
dhearn

Reply with quote  #1 
How do you guys price the toys you make? Kinda new to this and trying to figure things out.

Thanks!
Mike Holden

Reply with quote  #2 
I found you price things to high but we all know what it takes to make these darn things. I normally look around a see what the market is myself on compatible things and price accordingly. I also price things that I can not find to what I think it should be. If I do not sell them I rather keep them just my attitude. I am in this to make a living and we do ok ...I have some say "wow that is expensive" and then others find my pricing is reasonable or priced to low. We do not have no toys less that $5. Keep in mind none of our stuff is out of cheaper woods either such as pine. We use poplar for those units. Also it depends are what market place where you are selling these units as well. typical kids toys are $20 to $30 depending on what kind of time we have involve to make. We do not just make 1 at a time we do a production type deal doing 50 minimum to keep cost down for us and for our customers. Then we know what moves fast and what is price to high as well. Sad part about wood toys China can make them for pennies on the dollar than you and I can make. We sell ours as handmade with a guarantee bet China don't do that. I am not being racist and I am sorry if I offended anyone for saying my opinion.

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the reply Mike! That all makes perfect sense!
mlusk123

Reply with quote  #4 
[QUOTE=Mike Holden]I found you price things to high but we all know what it takes to make these darn things. I normally look around a see what the market is myself on compatible things and price accordingly. I also price things that I can not find to what I think it should be. If I do not sell them I rather keep them just my attitude. I am in this to make a living and we do ok ...I have some say "wow that is expensive" and then others find my pricing is reasonable or priced to low. We do not have no toys less that $5. Keep in mind none of our stuff is out of cheaper woods either such as pine. We use poplar for those units. Also it depends are what market place where you are selling these units as well. typical kids toys are $20 to $30 depending on what kind of time we have involve to make. We do not just make 1 at a time we do a production type deal doing 50 minimum to keep cost down for us and for our customers. Then we know what moves fast and what is price to high as well. Sad part about wood toys China can make them for pennies on the dollar than you and I can make. We sell ours as handmade with a guarantee bet China don't do that. I am not being racist and I am sorry if I offended anyone for saying my opinion.

Mike. I share the same opinion as you. I look for things when I shop to see if they are American made. Then I see if they are handmade or machine made. The handcrafted seems to get my attention much more than cnc, or machine made. The ones that I want to make or projects that I make, I don't care if I sell it or not. I don't make them too sell really. I don't have to make a living at it, that has a lot of influence on the projects I make. If I were to sell one, then it would be the price that I want. Guess it just goes, I actually want to keep my personal made toys. The ones I make for charity I make more of and not advanced projects. Great write up Mike H. 

Michael Lusk
Springfield, Tn. 
Disabled Vet Woodworking Hobbyist

BadBob

Reply with quote  #5 
Pricing is tough. A lot depends on your market. If you selling at a flee market you might as well be giving it away.

Who is your customer?
What is the quality of the toys you are selling?

I don't sell much and I'm not making money at it yet. So take this with a grain of salt.

Most people price to low. I did when I first opened my store. So low that Etsy saw fit to email me and suggest I raise my prices.  I did and I sold toys at the higher prices.  I've sold Play Pal Batmobiles for $15 + shipping. If your prices are to low some people will think there is something wrong with the toy and will not buy it.  If they are to high for your market people will not buy. Worst case I can come up with would be selling $50 or higher toys at a flea market or yard sale.

On the flip side you see Etsy shops selling toys that I would toss in the trash. 

Want to sell online. Be ready to work and learn about all sorts of things. Product photogapy, SEO, taxes, accounting and managing mutiplebank acounts. 

If your not selling on line will you take credit cards? How are you going to do it? Are you willing to lose sales if you don't? 

Sorry I'll get off my soap box. Every time someone asks about this stuff my brain just starts dumping. 

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #6 
Great post BadBob. We learn something new and useful from you just about every day.
obxwoodtoys

Reply with quote  #7 
When I started I took my toys to church and ask mother's what they would pay and as grandparents what I would pay it's not about the time that I sent it gives me something to do
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.