Author   Comment  
Frankg

Reply with quote  #1 
Today I went to the store to buy spray paint. I wanted to get primer also so I picked up a couple cans. No problem. So I go look at the paints. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw "paint and primer" in one can. Life's getting toooo simple. I like the fun of doing things the old way sometimes it's just plain less headache with all the choices. This is an official complaint![rolleyes] Of course the clerk says "Oh I just love it, so easy to use. Does it all at once"
What do you all think about that? Can't change the world, just want to hear what you have to say about this sort of thing.

Reply with quote  #2 
Frank

As I said before I use a lot of Krylon spray paints.  When I saw the primer and paint together I thought the same things as you did.

My first use was with red and black primer and paint together.

If you like the old ways, you will be glad to hear, that the combination paints and primers did not work as well for me as the separate primer and paint applications when using Krylon Spray paints, as far as I am concerned.  With one exception.

I paint a lot of wheels that I like to buy from Craftparts.com.  This is the exception.
Before I would always sand the wheels, prime them, then paint with black krylon gloss spray.  It was a crap shoot as to if they were going to be nice and shinny all the time.  Sometimes the wheels ended up with dull spots, and I could never figure out why.

Now with the new primer and black gloss spray paint from Krylon, I don't have that problem.
I don't even have to sand the wheels first.
I use a board with lots of holes to hold pointy sticks and put the board on a turn table.
I put the wheels in lines on the pointy sticks (alternating each row, so I can get a good angle to spray the wheels), then lightly spray one line at a time from all four sides
Then lightly cover spray over the top.
When dry, I turn them over and do the same thing again, because of the grooves in treaded tires.
When dry, I turn them back over and just spray a light coat of paint on the outer surface of the tire.
I like to paint about 35 to 38 wheels at a time this way

With the new primer and paint I get great results on wheels every time.

Why it does not work on other woods as well, I have no clue.

Give this a try, I think you will be jumping up and down with the results.

Happy Painting

Hambone

Reply with quote  #3 
Recently I bought a small can of white primer and paint combo from Clark and Kensington (not familiar with the Co.) because it was the only white small can available.  My project was medium sized and not a toy. It seemed that it took more paint than usual.  It was thicker and took two coats. Painting is not my long suit, however, I'll probably not use a combo again.  The project was not suitable for spray painting.
Hambone

Hambone
Udie

Reply with quote  #4 
Hambone and Frankg - Paint + Primer Spray Paint - Wow, what a coincidence. I just finished three (3) non-toy projects, a child's arts and craft table with storage and a lid. Used Krylon Colormaster Paint + Primer, Sun Yellow Gloss and the finish was terrible. Wood used was MDF. I used six (6) cans in total, I even primed one of the craft tables by brush, sanded and sprayed it with same paint. No difference. I just could not get an even coat and it just did not cover properly, even after three (3) applications could not get the glossy results.
I have no idea why, maybe it is just the Yellow, but then again, Ken had the same problems with the Red.

sjc5454

Reply with quote  #5 
I finished painting a couple of sets of toys 2 weeks ago and they still are not fully cured, I culd have sold one of them today if it had been ready, but I do not want to let them go until I can no longer smell the paint as this means they are not fully cured. Is there a way of speeding this process up beyond creating a heated room of 75-80 deg? I think I sprayed the coats on too thick or this is the result of the primer and paint combo I used. I thought I was putting on a light coat, but it seemed to take 2-3 hours to dry to the touch instead of the 10 minutes on the can at 70 deg and 30% humidity. It was another 2-3 hours before I felt the paint was dry enough to sand for the next coat.
Also I tried Ken Martins marketing method of carrying a toy with me and it works. I got two orders form  people at the library when I was there checking out some books on woodworking. You all should try it, it works.
Ken Martin

Reply with quote  #6 
Wow sjc5454

I am so glad that being bold enough to carry one of your toys with you when you went to the library really did work for you.  

Now I am not the only goofy one out there.
By carrying something with you, the conversation about toys and what you do starts itself.
I find this is much easier for me.

I am really pleased it worked for you.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.