Author   Comment  
kaj249

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi. I am ready to airbrush a few sets of toys from 2x6 pine and was wondering if I should prime them first or not before painting with colors. I am using acrylic paints and have both white and black primer. Any suggestions?
obxwoodtoys

Reply with quote  #2 
I air brush most of my toys and found that the primer is the best way to go
BadBob

Reply with quote  #3 
I really depends on the paint. Even different colors for the same brand of paint will vary. You should do a test with the wood and paint you intend to use. Don't spray it on your toy to see if it works.

ed357sw

Reply with quote  #4 
I have primed and not primed. I have equally good luck with doing ether or.

Pine probably would benefit from primer ( or a sanding sealer) because it can get splotchy sometimes, so putting a primer on will help keep that from happening. On the other hand I use popular a lot and I don't think I have ever bothered bothered to prime it.
I do sometimes use a sanding sealer on though ......

I think it will come down to the paint you have selected.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks y'all. I will try to paint tomorrow if the weather holds and do some test runs with and without. It is a very thick acrylic that I cut down to spray so it has very good coverage and is of high quality compared to store bought bottles. I was looking through the sale papers and saw a HVLP sprayer on sale. Does anyone use one and how is it?
AES

Reply with quote  #6 
Following advice from the very helpful people here, I now use shellac as primer for just about everything.

I too use a lot of cheapo pine (offcut scraps mainly) and especially with airbrushing with acrylic paints (which I find needs thinning 50% water or even more) the shellac is now responsible for a much better finish than I used to get without

So personally I'd recommend some sort of primer/grain filler every time - doesn't have to be shellac, but the advantage is that dries much quick than just about anything else I've tried previously.

HTH

calhanton

Reply with quote  #7 
I was always taught to use a primer or undercoat, even after sanding sealer and always sand between coats
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.