Author   Comment  
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm working on another puzzle truck. I've left the truck and trailer natural and coated them with beeswax/coconut oil. I painted the cars with metallic craft paints and then used the beeswax/coconut oil on them.

I'm finding that the colour is wiping off onto the paper towel I'm using to apply the wax/oil finish. It doesn't appear to be making a noticeable change to the paint finish (it's not completely rubbing off). I'm thinking that perhaps I didn't leave the paint to dry for long enough before coating.

Has anyone else had this problem when applying the wax directly on paint?

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey Rosiejane,
I use acrylic metallic paint a lot on my toy's and not had that problem, but I don't put the Cynthia's bees wax mix on the painted toy's. Maybe the oil is reacting to paint some how just guessing here.

I think i would take a similar piece of wood and paint it just like one of your toy's and maybe try putting  a coat of poly or triple thick clear lacquer first then try the beeswax combo.

I know its extra work but might give the same results with out the color rubbing off...

just my 2c worth and just guessing here ....LOL

Reply with quote  #3 
I mixed beeswax with coconut oil once and it went mouldy had to throw it out. Now beeswax and baby oil that's a lovely smell and beautiful polish.

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #4 
Ed - This is pretty much the only time I've used the oil/beeswax directly over paint. I've previously just brushed on a clear coat. I thought I'd give it a go so that the finish on the inside of the windows (natural) matched the rest of the truck which I also left natural.  Sounds like I'm going to have to go back to doing that. Perhaps I could still have the wax on the inside of the windows if I drilled them after clear coating the painted parts.

Roly - Yikes! I've been using the beeswax/coconut oil combo for a long time and it's never gone mouldy. I've just about run out though so maybe the next batch will be with baby oil.

Reply with quote  #5 
I've had the flat colors rub off. Black is especially noticeable.

Note that paper towels are very fine abrasive and craft paint isn't exactly hard.

Pinterest
Blogger
Forum Photo Album

LinkedIn
YouTube
Google Photos Toys Album

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.