Author   Comment  
Rod T

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone

I had a very productive few days over the Easter break. Taking advantage of the beautiful weather that we had. 

Bit of a mixed bag of projects but all fun.

First up I was asked by a friend to make some wooden numbers for their letterbox.
Made from some Merbau decking timber and finished with a decking oil.

IMG_2064.jpg 

I also recently bought a set of Pegas Blade holders and installed these on my Excalibur Saw.
Easy install and are a bit easier to use than the standard holders. I find that the lever at the top now applies the correct tension to the blade and I don't have to manually adjust this. Something that has been discussed in another topic on the forum.
I also bought some of the Pegas blades and find these pretty good. The Modified Geometry ones are really good.
The New blade holders also allow the blade to be installed a bit higher in the holder, so that blades with reverse teeth can be adjusted better. The original holders only allowed the blades to be risen up to a certain point. I have been able to get cleaner cuts on the bottom of the timber because of this.
I have found that as they are made from aluminium, there appears to be some ware in the screw hole that holds the blade. I did a lot of internal cuts on a project that you will see below and found at the end of these, the thumb screw had a bit of slack or slop in the thread. I dare say the thread will strip eventually.

IMG_2060.jpg 

I started a couple of Camaros at 200%. Cut all the pieces out, next stage is to glue the internal pieces together and cut out the front and back windows. 

IMG_2061.jpg 

I found a nice piece of Elm recently and with the grain pattern in it I wanted to try bookmatching it. Something I haven't done before. 
Here is the piece sliced down the middle and glued up. 

IMG_2065.jpg 

Then the internal cutting. A few hours of work here, but all with the 1 blade.

IMG_2066.jpg 

And the finished items. 
Some Trivets for a friend for their birthday.
These are 210mm square.
Just need to figure out a finish for them. 

IMG_2069.jpg 

Then finally a Helicopter for my 2 yr old. She has a fascination with helicopters and planes at the moment, so this was well received.

IMG_2070.jpg 
Back to work now, ho hum.

Cheers
Rod T

Tony

Reply with quote  #2 
Some great looking pieces there Rod. Those trivets are nice, where did you get those patterns?

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Tony

I found the patterns using Pinterest.
Do a search for Timber Trivet Pattern and click on a few of the images that come up.

Cheers
Rod T

Tony

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Rod

Reply with quote  #5 
You have been busy nice work. [thumb]

https://www.facebook.com/Scrollsaw-Woodworker-578378898839152/
AES

Reply with quote  #6 
I'm very interested in those revised blade holders for the Excalibur saw Rod. Could you give some more info please, in particular cost and supplier?

I don't remember seeing a discussion on those blade holders on this Forum before.

TIA

Rod T

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi

I bought the blade holders and blades from http://www.bearwood.com
I think the blade holders were about $90

They did international shipping to me in Australia in about 4 days. 

Steve Good did a review on the holders on his blog.
One of the selling points for the holders is the fact that they are 40% lighter than the original ones, so less vibration apparently. I haven't noticed any difference. 
One downside to these holders is they are made out of aluminium and the thumb screw that holds the blade is starting to ware the thread in the holder. I would prefer them to be made out of something harder. I can't see any advantage to the weight reduction using aluminium, so hardened steel could be appropriate. 

Cheers
Rod T

AES

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the info Rod. I don't visit Steve Good regularly, I must have a look.

I agree if the ali those holders are made of is "soft", though I suppose that when the thread wears one could always fit wire thread inserts, or threaded sleeves. Anyway, I'll check it out, thanks.

CalumetWoodworks

Reply with quote  #9 
Nice work!  Cant wait to see those Cameros!
Frogbucket

Reply with quote  #10 
Love your work especially the vehicles....Brilliant...
BadBob

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod T

IMG_2070.jpg 
Back to work now, ho hum.

Cheers
Rod T

Love the helicopter.

Is there a pattern for this somewhere?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.