Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Ron1963

Reply with quote  #16 
The tractor looks more like a tractor now. (the other one looked more like a truck)

The grain cart, I was thinking on something like this:
graincarts-main.jpg 
Farmers use these to cart the grain to a waiting truck (usually a semi) at the edge of the field. (of coarse if you made this you would have to have a matching semi with a grain trailer attached. Or maybe use an existing toy plan.)  It all depends on how big of a farmer you are and how you use the corn (sell it or store it on your farm) the smaller farmer would use something like the one you designed.)

Looking forward to this one, will be an eye catcher in my area.

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #17 
Articulated dumper is in the works for the first of the year. The proto looks good but needs a lot more work to be easier to make. The image below is of the Big John Combine modifications for the tractor and grain trailer shown above. This is greatly simplified and fun to make in a short time period. Scene File 020.jpg  Scene File 021.jpg 
Feedback is appreciated and extremely important for making quality and interesting final plan sets.

Thanks for the grain trailer post Ron. We use that one in the states also but a lot of farmers use the quad wheel trailer like the one in the last proto shot. We will keep this file you shared for our next farm plan set.

Rod T

Reply with quote  #18 
I think the modifications you have made have really improved this toy. 
It looks a lot more accurate now. 
I am looking forward to the plan release.

Cheers
Rod T

Bucko

Reply with quote  #19 
The set is really coming together nicely and the front end of the Combine has really improved and it should prove to be made with no problems. I'm thinking on those front teeth I'd drill the middle ones slightly oversized to improve ease of accurate assembly of the unit. Just thinking out loud again but I'd go with single tires on the tractor for the younger child age of play and the duelly tires for the upper child age of play.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #20 
Great input. So I changed the design so you do not need the dowel if you do not want it. I think this is the final design but I need to sleep on it and start the manuscript tomorrow. Feel free to comment all you want. As you can see it is extremely helpful in making a better toy design. This version has a swing-up rake. Wheels are common treaded 2-1/4" diameter in front and 1-1/2" diameter in rear. 

Scene File 020 R1.jpg    Scene File 021.jpg

Ron1963

Reply with quote  #21 
Looking more realistic all the time.  

The only suggestion I see is to make the head be 6 row instead of 5.  I don't think I have seen a combine with an odd number of rows beyond 3.  The best way I see to do this would be to switch the black parts with the green parts and the green parts with black.  This would put a black part on the ends, then simply add another green part to finish the ends.  Also, it would be the green parts that would attach to the combine's feeder housing.
john lewman

Reply with quote  #22 
Scene File 020-R1.jpg Scene File 022.jpg   Is this what you mean Ron? I like the improvement. Thanks to the forum for taking the time to keep us on the right track with this. I enjoy working with all of you as we develop new designs.
Ron1963

Reply with quote  #23 
Yes, perfect!  This is looking better than the ones at the farm & home stores!
john lewman

Reply with quote  #24 
I would not be able to do it without your input. All great designs are a group effort!
john lewman

Reply with quote  #25 
I will add the driving lights to the front tomorrow. I can't figure out quite where the best place is to mount them. Thanks again for all your help.
Ron1963

Reply with quote  #26 
Looks like the lights are located at the top of the cab, on yours it would be the edge of the white part.

john-deere-combines.jpg

A
lso, I just noticed yours has dual wheels on the back.  I can be just a single wheel.

john lewman

Reply with quote  #27 
I agree. It can be singles front or rear and work just fine as a design. This shot is of the final prototype. Any changes needed before we go into the final production of the plan set  manuscript? The trailer tailgate is shown open in this shot.
Scene File 009.jpg 
Scene File 008.jpg

john lewman

Reply with quote  #28 
We finished the shots for the woodtone versions of the Tractor, Combne and Grain Trailer today. Tomorrow we will start the line drawing patterns and then it is full steam ahead on the toy plans manuscript.
Scene File 011.jpg  Scene File 012.jpg 

Rosiejane

Reply with quote  #29 
I like this simplified version and I like the modifications you've made. Having grown up on a farm, I like all the farm toys. I bought the plans for the other combine and haven't progressed very far with it. 

Here in Austraila, my family are in the middle of the grain harvest at the moment. They use a field bin and also unload directly into the truck.

IMG_6294.JPG

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.