Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
AES

Reply with quote  #16 
As an aero engineer (retired) myself, for some reason I cannot explain, even to myself, I just somehow don't feel attracted to making aeroplane toys.

But these 3 designs have really caught the essence and character of their prototypes John, and anyone who knows anything at all about aeroplanes can see at the immediate 1st glance exactly what types they are (BTW, we still have the F5 in service here in Switzerland, and amongst other uses they are flown by our national aerobatics team "Patrouille de Suisse" - painted in the national red & white colour scheme).

Very nice designs and IF I ever do get round to making aeroplane toys these would be top of my list to consider, very well done Sir.   

BadBob

Reply with quote  #17 
Oh, i've been waiting for these. I really need to get in the shop and makes some sawdust and sell some toys else buying plans is going break the bank?

PaPa Jack

Reply with quote  #18 
thanks John and Cynthia !  Just what I was looking for.  Will make them a little bigger and will send some pics.  Now some more modern cargo planes HA !!@
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #19 
Cargo planes are in the works but still a distance from launch later this year.
wwalker47

Reply with quote  #20 
John, I just need to tell you that the F-16 was not in Vietnam it's first flight was 1974 and introduced in 1978 .

Now if you need another jet from the war the F-105 Thunderchief (better known as the Thud) was one of the great fighter/bombers of this war.

Thanks

My saw is a DeWalt788
Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut
BadBob

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwalker47
John, I just need to tell you that the F-16 was not in Vietnam it's first flight was 1974 and introduced in 1978 .

Now if you need another jet from the war the F-105 Thunderchief (better known as the Thud) was one of the great fighter/bombers of this war.

Thanks

I meant to mention that and for got to put it in the post. Duh. +1 for the Thud.

I coulfd give you a list but you can Google for them there are several lists.

I for one would like to see a nice C-130 Gunship perhaps you could design it so it goes both ways. With or with out the guns.

john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #22 
The F16 is my favorite fighter of the Vietnam Era. You make a good point and I understand why you would think that the F16 was not truly a Vietnam fighter. I worked during the war as a Top Secret Classified designer for weapons companies and have direct experience with the design of weapons from small arms ammunition to missiles. We were all excited at that time to see the F16 being developed.

My Uncle Ralph Crawford actually helped manage the development of the maintenance and operation manuals for this aircraft. He also did the same for the B36 Flying Fortress. I visited the plant where he worked and got to see these monsters first hand. He also did the same with manuals for the SR71 Blackbird and I visited the hanger in Utah where these wonderful airplanes were stationed. They are a magnificent thing to see up close and personal.

The F16 was designed during the Vietnam Era by General Dynamics and it was during the Vietnam War. Yes, the first flight was on 20 January 1974. It was developed for future use in the war but didn't see any real action because the Vietnam War officially ended with the fall of Saigon April 29, 1975. Full scale production of the F16 did not begin until 1976 and 4500 of the planes were built in the following years. It is now used by 25 other nations and in 2015 was the second most common operational military aircraft in the world.

FYI-To give you an idea of my weapons work-I helped with the design of a lot of production machines at the Defense Plants during the war. This is a de-classified drawing from 1967 that I did for one of my projects. I sat on a high stool in an un-airconditioned bull pen on the floor where the casings were heat-treated. It was always around 100 degrees in the office. We worked with paper towels wrapped around our lower arms so sweat would not get on the drawing. However, we loved it!

This is a trim machine for 30 caliber ammunition. This is not a computer drawing. It is one I did using ink on mylar (a clear plastic archival material) using standard old-fashioned drafting instruments like the ones we used in high school at the time.

automation.jpg 
I stole the above at-the-time classified drawing by wrapping it around my leg under my pants when I went through the guard station on my last day at this weapons facility in 1971.

Back in the day the designers had to be able to produce photo-realistic renderings of the things they designed. If you couldn't produce museum quality presentation art for your managers then you were out of a job. Below is a design I did for Mark Twain Marine in 1969. The boat drawing is an example of my early design creativity and color work. It was done with just an artist's paint brush and acrylic tube paints applied over the original pencil sketch on art board. 

speedboat1.jpg 

BadBob

Reply with quote  #23 
I see your point John. I was in the Air Force from 1971 until 1991. These aircraft along with several others were a big part of my life. I don't really care what you call them I would have bought them anyway. If I get around to making these for sale I'm sure that the customers will care what you called them on the plans. I'm really looking forward to more of these type aircraft.

I really appreciate these being separate plans. Saves me the trouble of spiting them up.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.