Reply with quote  #1 
Atlas Airliner getting a paint job
Mod podge truck and digger waiting for a clear coat
So onto the next project - Puppy Rescue Adopt a Pet
Puppy Rescue.jpg 

[image]

gazz

Reply with quote  #2 
You certainly keep yourself busy, wish I had half you talent and time. I'll be lucky to get a couple hours in most days, watching your builds is pleasure.

Reply with quote  #3 
Building these toys is part of my bucket list for my future grandkids, a legacy, cause my kids don't have an interest, imagination or incline for such manual tasks
Peter B

Reply with quote  #4 
[image]
gazz

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B
Building these toys is part of my bucket list for my future grandkids, a legacy, cause my kids don't have an interest, imagination or incline for such manual tasks

I hear you there my kids are the same, dont have any grandkids as yet but got a couple of greatneices to practice with. Its the pleasure in the building seeing something take shape from a few flat boards to big amazing smiles .

Reply with quote  #6 
Having so much fun
My daughter in law saw this on my desk yesterday and though it was for her as she is a huge animal lover.
But had to let her down with the comment of "for grandkids only"
[image]
Peter B

Reply with quote  #7 
[image]
[image]
john lewman

Owner, ToymakingPlans.com
Reply with quote  #8 
Do have a dozen or two Santa's Elves helping you in the shop? Your output is unbelievable. This is one cool toy and very well crafted.
Peter B

Reply with quote  #9 
I wish i had some elves John but this is all to do with my toy making bucket list.
Like everyone here i find your plans such a joy to work with from start to finish plus Rod T tip of using packaging tape, then printing each plan page onto A4 shipping labels and sticking that to the tape has increased my output. No more spray glue or sticky fingers and no drying time.
The steps i try to follow are seeing what pieces are 1/4" and if there is more than, so i would use a thicker stock and slice it to make 2.
Rough cut all the larger pieces from either 1/4",1/2" or 3/4" and if i need even larger pieces to rough cut and glue first so when needed there is no waiting for drying.
I have a tub full of the 6 Reallywood Road Crew ready to start plus still adding more colour to the Atlas Airliner and tossing up between Super Train or Sherman Tank. Will add a few pieces to the Falcon to distract my attention hopefully. 
Rod T

Reply with quote  #10 
This is a great toy, nice work Peter.
My little girl loves playing with the various animals that I have cut out, I might have to make this one.

How do you slice the thicker pieces down? Do you use a bandsaw? 
I have tried this, but the bandsaw leaves such a rough face that the sanding takes longer than cutting 2 pieces out separately. 

Cheers
Rod T

Peter B

Reply with quote  #11 

My bandsaw blade is 14tpi and i go very slowly cause sometimes cutting along the grain the harder growth rings twist the blade which i found out by trial and error.
Below is a sample that I just did to show the difference pre-sanding and post-sanding
I use 120grit on the bench belt sander
Took a few minutes to do
[image]

Rod T

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks Peter, mine come out about the same as your pre-sanding one on the left.
I haven't got a belt sander, might have to invest in one. Would be very handy.
I have a project on the backburner, a homemade drum sander. I have all the parts, just need to get some time to build it. It will be like the Sandflee style with the drum under a flat top. Its on my "Gonna do" list.

I re-saw longer pieces on the bandsaw and then put them through my thicknesser. This works really well, but the pieces need to be at least 350mm long.

My Scrollsaw has just about given up as well, so am looking at a new one of these as well. Looking at the General (Excallibur) from Carbatec. 

Cheers
Rod T
Peter B

Reply with quote  #13 

I am a big fan green machine these days from Ryobi on both scroll saw and bench belt sander but i find their product support for parts is very lacking through Bunnings.
Most of my first power tools were from Carbatec and proved to be well worth for the torment i use to put power tools through making furniture.
I had one of those "Gonna do" list, then it turned to a "Gonna do as i please" list once everything hit the fan.
Will wait patiently to see the homemade sander posting as there is nothing like building the bigger machines to play with.

ctowne

Reply with quote  #14 
I have been eyeing this one and actually have the main parts cut out.  but my concern was the 2 tier truck back.  Did you reinforce the middle or top tier at all or did you just glue?
Cindy
Peter B

Reply with quote  #15 
I just glued as i was pleased that the amount of dowels would do the job
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.